Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Quantum — Quantum 2
07-15-19, 05:52 AM
RE: [CA11] Quantum — Quantum 2
Hi Chuck
New loaner Quantum 2 failed on weekend trip. It failed at 3.25 hrs going and at 3.5 hrs coming back. In both cases could not reconnect to radar for about 20 mins. Also in both cases had trouble connecting to radar initially with engine running took about 10 to 15 mins. Yesterday rewired batteries so house bank is disconnected from engine alternator. House bank is 4 8D AGM batteries. If they need to be can charge can via generator or when connected to shore power.

I also bought an AC to DC bench power supply. It can continuously put out 8 amps DC. If rewired system noted above does not work will try that as power source for Axiom and Quantum 2 on our coming trip
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-15-19, 01:25 PM
Ed,

Thanks for the update. I've also asked that our product support team in the UK examine this thread as well and to comment.
07-15-19, 04:46 PM
Welcome back Chuck
I am switching back to my original Quantum 2 as the loner did not solve the problem. Before the trip back on Sunday I adjusted the wiring from the Newmar power stabilizer 12-12-6I to feed both the Axiom and the Quantum 2 Radar previously it was only feeding the Quantum 2. As that switch had no positive effect when I returned I changed the battery wiring . Previously the alternator (160amp) was always feeding the house bank. Now rewired so it never feeds the house bank thinking that if issue is noise from alternator getting into the lines it should not happen now. Not on return trip Sunday had digital volt meter wired into the feed out of the Newmar power stabilizer for the entire trip it was reading 13.70 to 13.72 volts.
07-15-19, 05:00 PM
Ed,

Q. Now rewired so it never feeds the house bank thinking that if issue is noise from alternator getting into the lines it should not happen now. Not on return trip Sunday had digital volt meter wired into the feed out of the Newmar power stabilizer for the entire trip it was reading 13.70 to 13.72 volts.
A. Is this latest response intended to indicate that the latest wiring changes may have caused the reported problem to abate?
07-15-19, 05:44 PM (This post was last modified: 07-15-19 06:01 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Not sure thinking on the dock was as it the radar getting disconnected from Axiom seems to only happen with engine running maybe alternator electrical noise is the culprit. So if the radar and Axiom as well as everything else are on house bank which is disconnected from alternator output maybe it will solve it or delay the issue even further. Will be testing it this coming weekend as head out . The house bank is large 4 8D AGM batteries. If capacity drops to say 60% can start generator to charge house bank.
07-15-19, 06:01 PM
Noted.
07-17-19, 10:11 AM
Chuck if I wanted to test whether issue with my radar is Raynet cable so thinking to connect radar via WiFi. In doing this do need to disconnect the Raynet cable from the Axiom or can I leave it and just say connect via WiFi ?
07-17-19, 06:00 PM
Q. I wanted to test whether issue with my radar is Raynet cable so thinking to connect radar via WiFi. In doing this do need to disconnect the Raynet cable from the Axiom or can I leave it and just say connect via WiFi ?
A. Yes, the Quantum Data Cable must be disconnected from the network switch or MFD. You must then pair the MFD with the Quantum radome.
07-18-19, 07:34 AM
You're welcome.
07-21-19, 11:12 AM
Update issue continues with radar getting disconnected. Now have my original Quantum 2 installed and connected via the Raynet cable

note for this trip house battery bank 4 -8D AGM isolated from engine alternator verified by checking voltage and amp readings

Started engine then disconnected shore power then started Axiom and radar connected right away to MFD. As was backing out of slip using thrusters radar disconnected. Was able to reconnect in about 10min as cleared breakwater
I then ran for 3 hrs 35 min at which time radar disconnected for some reason as we approached Stonington breakwater. Once got tied up maybe 20 min was able to reconnect.

Around when radar got disconnected I was using the VHF to contact marina not sure if that is issue .