Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rudder Reference Installation with EV-200 Power
05-19-16, 06:19 AM
Rudder Reference Installation with EV-200 Power
I'm converting a Simrad AP to your EV-200 on a 2007 Back Cove 33 with hydraulic steering.

Q1. During the middle of the conversion, is the Raymarine EV-200 autopilot able to function without the rudder reference (ACU-200, EV-1, & p70R installed) using virtual rudder reference?

Referring to Raymarine's Rudder Position Sensor Installation Guide: I'm am unable to install the Tiller Pin at the optimum 5.5" (figures 1 & 2) on the rudder tiller arm due to the geometry/construction of the tiller arm. It will be more closer to 7" to 8". This will cause the Stud connecting rod not to be parallel with a line drawn between the center posts of the rudder and the Rudder Sensor arm as indicated in figure 1. I ought to be fine with the "throw" of the tiller arm.

Q2. In this circumstance, I'm thinking it is most important to have the Stud connecting rod be at a 90 degree angle to both the tiller and the Rudder Senor as shown in figure 2. Would you recommend otherwise?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-19-16, 08:27 AM
RE: Rudder Reference Installation with EV-200 Power
The EV-200 does not require a rudder reference sensor, it does provide virtual rudder reference data while underway. It is recommended to be mounted for best performance especially if you are using a third part drive in the system.

What manual are you referencing for the figure diagrams you are referring in your inquiry so I can follow along?
05-19-16, 06:08 PM
Thank you for your reply. I certainly will be installing the Rudder Reference. It is nice to know I can run the system for a couple of weeks until I get the Rudder Reference installed. The rest of the system is ready to go. The installation of the Rudder Reference is requiring a little extra work.

The manual you ask is a folded pamphlet. It is called the Rudder Position Sensor Installation Guide. I've attached it to this reply.
05-20-16, 08:39 AM
Yes, the 5.5 inch location isn't critical as long as the tiller and rudder reference arm are parallel and the threaded rod is 90 degrees to the tiller.