Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Fuel Tank Calibration
06-26-19, 05:21 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-19 09:59 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Fuel Tank Calibration
I attempted to calibrate my fuel tank this afternoon with the final result being a message from my Axiom 9 stating that calibration had failed.

I am using an Oceanics Systems 3271 Volumetric Fuel Sender. It is installed in my tank properly. It is also properly attached to my NMEA 2000 network and shows up on the Axiom under "Configure tanks" as well as under "Diagnostic" so I am certain it is hooked up properly.

They steps I took are outlined below:

• Set instance number on 3271 to 0
• Set fuel tanks to 1 on Axiom
• Completely drained fuel tank
• Went to Homescreen > Settings > Boat Details
• Selected Configure Tanks
• Chose tank instance 0 (the only tank shown)
• Set Tank Name, Type, and Capacity
• Pressed Calibrate > Run wizard
• Set number of calibration points to 5

The Axiom then asked me to empty tank and press OK. I pressed OK as my tank was already empty

It then asked me to fill my tank several times to specific volumes and press OK after each fill. I did this 4 more times.

At each press of OK the Axiom indicated "setting calibration point" and then asked me to fill to next volume. All seemed to appear to be going correctly at this point.

The last request from Axiom was to completely Fill the tank and press OK. I did this and the Axiom returned a message indicating that calibration had failed.

As doing this procedure requires completely draining and then accurately filling the Fuel tank to several different volumes it would be really nice to understand WHAT the failure mechanism is before doing this whole procedure again as it is time consuming and MESSY.

To that end can you please suggest what additional steps I need to take, or what steps I need to modify in order to succeed on my next try.

As a note, the procedure I followed above was taken from LightHouse 3.9 Advanced Operation instructions "Calibrating Tanks"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-19, 10:01 AM
RE: [CA11] Fuel Tank Calibration
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Mannery,

We're sorry to learn of the reported issue. Since receiving this report, our engineering team appears to have reproduced the problem reported and is currently investigating this issue. When further information become available, this post will be updated accordingly.
07-04-19, 01:47 PM
After a couple more attempts I was able to go thru the above procedure with the end result being that the Axiom 9 appears to have calibrated the tank successfully.

The key point that seems to have resulted in success was to re-do the Oceanic Systems "Tank Level Calibration" procedure as outlined in their "3271-Installation-Instructions.pdf" Step 2. I followed this procedure three times in succession before then again following the procedure outlined in the Lighthouse 3 advanced operations manual section on tank calibration.

It is to be seen how well the tank is calibrated as for now it is simply showing Full (as it should).

I will report back to this thread after getting on the water and burning some fuel which will allow me to compare a visual inspection of tank level against what the Axiom is showing.
07-23-19, 02:49 PM
I was able to get on the water and burn some fuel yesterday.
What the fuel level transducer is reporting compared to a visual inspection of the tank seems to be spot on at this point.
07-23-19, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the update.