Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[LW] [LW11] I60 dashes for true wind and P70 NO SPEED DATA
07-02-19, 08:59 PM (This post was last modified: 07-03-19 03:04 AM by Louise - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[LW11] I60 dashes for true wind and P70 NO SPEED DATA
Hi,
I have a problem with my Raymarine instruments.
I have the following:
i50 TriData
i60 Wind
P70 Autopilot control
EV200 autopilot with EV-1 Electric drive type 1
SeaTalk to Seatalk Ng bridge
Remote Control
on SeaTalk Ng

Garmin 7610xsv
Actisense NMEA0183 bridge
Actisense Engine Emulator EMU-1
Fusion Radio
Barometer
on NMEA2000 backbone

Last summer and at the beginning of this sailing season I had the following problems:
On the i60 the true wind would disappear suddenly and were replaced by dashes, after a minute or so the true wind value would come back. It goes on and on like that all the time.

On the P70 and would get the message NO SPEED DATA after acknowledging the message the autopilot started working again until I got the same message.

Two weekend ago I had no speed, no temperature and no log info on the TriData. I changed the speed and temperature sender (ST800) last weekend and the speed, temperature and log are now working perfectly.

Even after replacing the ST800 (speed and temperature sender) I still get dashes now and then on the i60 and the P70 still gives me NO SPEED DATA. (variable, could be ok for 20 minutes or 5 minutes).

I have a video showing the speed on the i50 and the i60 showing dashes for true wind if you would like to see it. The speed on the i50 is changing, so it is getting the speed info, but the i60 is not showing true wind, it shows 3 dashes.

I have a NMEA2000 backbone connected to the SeaTalk Ng backbone but the speed for the true wind calculation and for the autopilot comes from the i50 and the i50,i60 and P70 are right besides each other connected with raymarine white cable to the SeaTalk-Seatalk Ng bridge which is connected to the ACU200-EV1 with Raymarine blue cable. the other side of the Seatalk bridge is connected to the NMEA2000 backbone with a blue cable.

Very frustrating, I don't know what to do anymore.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-10-19, 03:24 AM
RE: [LW11] I60 dashes for true wind and P70 NO SPEED DATA
Dear Georges Paquette,

Thank you for your post.

Have you tried isolating the instruments independently to see if they work on their own?

Has the backbone got 2 terminators at each end? Have you tried the instruments in different STng ports?

Could you provide a system diagram for us to look over?

Many Thanks
Louise
07-17-19, 08:45 PM
Hi,

Of course I have terminators.
Before last weekend the i50,i60 and P70 were connected in daisy chain. I50 was connected to i60, i60 was connected to P70 and P70 was connected to a white port on the SeaTalk Ng to SeaTalk bridge.
I read somewhere on your site that this was not a NMEA2000 accepted configuration.
Last weekend I changed the Backbone connection:
I connected the SeaTalk Ng cable coming from the ACU200 into a Raymarine 5 ways port on the Blue connector, I the connected each instrument individually with a Raymarine black/white cable into a port on the 5 ways Port, I then connected a Blue cable from the 5 ways port to the blue port on the SeaTalk Ng to SeaTalk converter. The cable on the Yellow port goes to a SeaTalk 3 ways hub, this is to support My remote control. I then connected the last Blue port on the bridge to mt Maretron NMEA2000 backbone using a Raymarine Blue cable but with a modification, I installed a Maretron connector so that the Blue cable now had the proper connector to attach to the NMEA2000 backbone, like a true NMEA2000 backbone.

I tested the new setup and I still have the same problem.
I found on the internet a way for selftestinf of the i50 but it does not seem to work. When I enter the test mode I get FA L1 (no I) for the first test and a blank screen for the second test.
I tried the same selftest procedure on my friend I50 and got the same result.
You will find attached a copy of my Backbone.
Hope to solve this before my next voyage.
07-17-19, 08:53 PM
Forgot to mention that all instruments function usually normally. I get dashes for true wind randomly but many times per hour. I also get No Speed on the P70 randomly but always many times per hour. I could go to a waypoint on a track ode for 15 minutes then autopilot will stop with the message NO SPEED.

I would also like to find out why the autopilot ask me to accept turning to a waypoint, many times during the trip, even if it is right on track? I enter yes but for nothing since it is already tracking to the waypoint. I understand that it will ask to accept turning to a different waypoint while following a route but while going to a waypoint about 1 Nm ahead the autopilot will give this message many many times, sometimes every 5 seconds!
07-18-19, 06:08 AM
Forgot to mention that all instruments function usually normally. I get dashes for true wind randomly but many times per hour. I also get No Speed on the P70 randomly but always many times per hour. I could go to a waypoint on a track mode for 15 minutes then autopilot will stop with the message NO SPEED.

I would also like to find out why the autopilot ask me to accept turning to a waypoint, many times during the trip, even if it is right on track? I enter yes but for nothing happens since it is already tracking to the waypoint. I understand that it will ask to accept turning to a different waypoint while following a route but while going to a waypoint about 1 Nm ahead the autopilot will give this message many many times, sometimes every 5 seconds!
07-18-19, 04:43 PM
Hi,
I wanted to mention that I had a Garmin GXM52 Sirius XM connected on the NMEA2000 backbone and I thought that the problem was coming from the antenna broadcasting too much data and after discussion with Garmin they decided to replace it, free of charge, for the Garmin GXM53 Sirius XM which is not on the NMEA2000 backbone but on Garmin's Ethernet network.

Even with the new antenna I still have the problems.

So we can rule out the GXM52 antenna as the culprit.

Thanks
Georges
07-31-19, 04:07 AM
Dear Georges Paquette,

Thank you for your post.

Looking at your system diagram, my question is why you have 2 x 12v power supplies to the backbone. The NMEA2000 backbone requires a single 12v supply. The rest of the system looks fine and should operate correctly.

The nature of our pilots is to raise an alert advising to turn to the waypoint even if there is no cross track error. I recommend contacting your local dealer to come and have a look at your installation to fault find and diagnose, you can find your nearest one here.

Many Thanks
Louise