Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Dragonfly 5 Pro Depth Reading
07-22-19, 08:04 PM (This post was last modified: 07-29-19 10:39 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Dragonfly 5 Pro Depth Reading
My Dragonfly wont read depths lower than 7.2'. Any ideas what would cause this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-29-19, 10:43 AM
RE: [CA11] Dragonfly 5 Pro Depth Reading
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Nsciankowy,

For clarification purposes, is the depth which you have specified that from the water's surface to the bottom or that from the transducer to the bottom? How far beneathe the waterline is the transducer located? Has a depth offset been configured? Is the issue that the system will not report depth when the water is less than 7' deep, or the that the system will not report depth when the water is greater than 7' deep?
07-30-19, 07:34 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-19 09:47 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck,

The depth I have quoted is the reading on my unit. I believe the transducer is about 12" below the water line when stationary. I have not configured a depth offset. This issue is also new. For the first two years the unit would read depths as shallow as 1.5'. To be clear the issue is reporting depths shallower than 7.2'. I know the depth was shallower as there were swimmers standing in the area near the dock where I was parked. But for the entire time I was in shallow water it would read 7.2 and not move. Once I moved into deeper water the reading would start to become accurate as best that I could tell.
07-31-19, 10:01 AM (This post was last modified: 07-31-19 10:01 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Nsciankowy,

It is possible that the sonar ping is bouncing off the bottom (as it would normally do), and then being bounced off the surface of the water, causing a second, deeper echo to be sensed by the sonar. This feature is most commonly encountered in shallow water and where a bottom is very hard. The default sonar settings will typically avoid this feature. Accordingly, it would be recommended that a Sonar Reset (TOOLS & SETTINGS->SYSTEM SETTINGS->SONAR SET-UP->SONAR RESET) be performed. Should the problem persist thereafter, then it would be recommended that the Gain value be reduced until the proper depth is reported. Should the problem persist thereafter and should the transducer be free of marine growth, then it would be recommended that the product be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.