Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EV200 compatibility with Garmin 7610xsv
05-22-16, 08:20 AM
EV200 compatibility with Garmin 7610xsv
Hello, I recently purchased and installed a new electronics system for my 04 Scout 280 Abaco with twin Yamaha F225 outboards. The installation when smoothly and I tested it for the first time and everything appears to be working perfectly with one exception. The AP steers under Power Steer, but doesn't recognize the GPS data so won't track. All other functions appear to work.

The brand new system is all NMEA2000, everything in the entire system was replaced aside from a VHF radio. The system includes:

*AP - Raymarine EV200 Power Pilot T70156 (included P70R head), Raymarine Type 1 pump 12V M81120, Raymarine SeatalkNG to NMEA2000 Male adapter cable A06046

*Chartplotter/Radar - Garmin 7610xsv, Garmin 18xHD radar, Garmin GT52HW-TM transducer, Garmin NMEA 2000 starter kit.

The Garmin 7610xsv recognizes all the Raymarine equipment, but the P70R head doesn't appear to recognize the GPS data.

Again, other than tracking, everything else appears to be working flawlessly (although I could use a hand with the "hard over steer" setup...it's the only thing I haven't figured out....I did not install the rudder sensor as I'm running outboards and there's no room).

I assume this is a setting, or perhaps I need to reconfigure where power comes in to the N2k/SeatalkNG system. I've attached a very basic wiring diagram for your review.

Thanks very much for your anticipated support!

Erik Sveden
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-16, 11:34 AM
RE: EV200 compatibility with Garmin 7610xsv
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Erik,

From a SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 perspective, it is critical to ensure that the backbone is being powered from a single power insertion point located at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load. As such, it is recommended that you verify that the ACU's SeaTalkng Power Switch be configured to OFF. If so, can the 7610xsv repeat Heading (not COG) from the Evolution autopilot? If so, commanding the 7610xsv to Go To a Waypoint or Cursor position should then cause it to transmit navigational/steering data to the autopilot. Selecting AUTO followed by TRACK on the autopilot control head should then cause the autopilot to steer to the waypoint. Should the autopilot not perform as has been specified within this response, then please create a new diagram of your SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone showing all SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 components and how each has been interfaced to the backbone.
05-29-16, 12:41 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-16 08:15 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ok so...I checked everything you suggested and I had all hooked up correctly I believe, as I tried getting the system to "track" using some different methods, and it worked! The system WILL track a course provided that I start navigation from a "chart" screen (not a "combo" screen). It will also follow a route provided I initiate navigation from a "chart" screen, and provided I click "ok" at each turn manually (Is this normal, i.e., for safety purposes, or, should the system automatically make turns without input from the operator?). It will NOT track if I attempt to initiate navigation from any combo screen, and it will not track one of the Garmin "auto guidance" routes. Again, is this normal, and is it just a matter of me getting used to how to operate the system, with limitations due to compatibility between Raymarine and Garmin? Or...should I be able to initiate navigation from other than "chart only" screens, and should I be able to track an "auto guidance" route?

Thanks again for your assistance! Getting there, but this is my first AP and there's a learning curve for sure!
05-31-16, 08:22 AM
Erik,

By design, Raymarine autopilots require that the operator acknowledge that it is safe to initiate the turn to the next waypoint when operating in Track mode. Regarding the inability to enter track mode after having commanded a Go To Waypoint / Cursor Position or Follow Route command, from your combo devices, I suspect that you may still have an issue with the installation of your equipment. Please create a new diagram of your SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone showing all SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 components, how each has been interfaced to the backbone, and where backbone's power insertion point is. The new diagram should be attached to your next post to this thread.