Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C9 WiFi Failures
05-22-16, 08:15 PM
C9 WiFi Failures
Hi,
I installed the C9 multifunction display at the nav station in the salon. The C9 multifunction display is viewed in the cockpit with RayView on an iPad and the C9 MFD is controlled with RayRemote on an iPhone. We traveled about 900 miles over a 2 and a half week period from St Louis to Mobile using these Apps. The AIS and MFD are left on at night when anchored so that tugs can see us ahead of time. For many days, the WiFi worked fine. Then the WiFi on the C9 MFD started to fail. A power cycle on the MFD would make the MFD wifi work again. Power cycles had to be performed more and more frequently as time went on, until we finally quit using this feature. In the end, it would only last about an hour or so.

Everything seems to work fine except the wifi. There are no problems with any of the displays for charts, AIS or anchor alarm. Can you provide any insights about this issue?

Thanks,

Gary Green
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-23-16, 12:01 PM (This post was last modified: 05-23-16 12:03 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: C9 WiFi Failures
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Gary,

We're sorry to learn of the reported Wi-Fi communications issue. It is recommended that the MFD's software be updated with the latest available Raymarine product software update and that it be tested again. Should the problem persist then some fault isolation would be recommended. In order to determine whether the fault may be resulting from insufficient power, it is recommended that the vessel be connected to shore power, that its batteries be permitted be fully charged, and that while still connected to shore power that an attempt to duplicate the problem be performed using each mobile device. Should the problem persist when tested in this configuration with both mobile devices, then it would be recommended that the MFD be bench tested/serviced by Raymarine’s Product Repair Center.
05-23-16, 02:24 PM
Thank you. This is very helpful. I will update the MFD software as soon as possible. I was under engine power when this issue occurred, so I don't thing there was a low voltage problem. However, I suspect a grounding issue based on other symptoms that have been experienced. I will get the grounding issue resolved. This may very well be the problem.

Thanks for your help,

Gary Green

The Raymarine C9 with AIS has been a great tool. I love it.
05-23-16, 03:15 PM
You're welcome.