Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Losing the GPS Signal and "Go To" Function
07-18-19, 10:13 AM (This post was last modified: 07-18-19 10:52 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Losing the GPS Signal and "Go To" Function
Thanks Chuck, I'll be back on the boat at the weekend and will send pictures of the location and image of the satellites visible. In the interim, the Seatalk NG network only has the Axiom Internal GPS, the sprayhood is a typical canvas material on a stainless steel frame. As mentioned my previous MFD, a C90W, did not have the same problem (loss of route mid-passage) it was sited in the same location using the internal GPS. (Also the Axiom was installed and commissioned by an authorised Raymarine engineer with no concerns over the location).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-22-19, 02:43 AM (This post was last modified: 07-22-19 09:12 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,

I have attached a photo of the Axiom Pro on its bracket in the cockpit, I also attach the Axiom screenshot satellite view from the GPS settings and the error log from last week when the 'go-to' / route follow stopped mid passage. I running the latest version of Lighthouse 3. I don't believe there are any other RF transmitting devices within 3' of the MFD. I also tested the position acquisition from a cold boot, this was 20 seconds - chart screen shown a position in Miami, 20 seconds later it shows the correct position down to the actual pontoon berth in my home marina. There are no other GPS sources on the SeatalkNG network and the MFD is set to use internal GPS.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-22-19, 09:32 AM
RGG,

Please note that we have been unable to duplicate the reported issue. There were many odd issues related to the LH3 v3.8.x and v3.9.x software, many of which, were corrected through execution of the Power ON Factory Reset procedure. That said, LH3 v3.10.39 was released last week. It is recommended that this software update be installed within the system's MFDs and that the Power ON Factory Reset procedure then be executed on each of the system's MFDs to correct the reported behavior. Should the problem persist after having performed the items recommended above, then please respond according and include a system diagram of your system.
07-23-19, 05:04 AM (This post was last modified: 07-23-19 08:24 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Virtually all of the losses of the “go to” issues described would go away if there was a delay of a few seconds after the GPS signal was lost before disconnecting the “follow” function. The Axiom is reacting too fast!

I measured the GPS loss(before adding an external antenna). They were always under 3 seconds. No external antenna would have been needed in n my case if there had been a delay.
07-23-19, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 07-23-19 02:26 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Carl,

While potentially acceptable for a slow moving displacement hull, loss of GPS FIX for the duration specified for fast planing hulls would likely not be acceptable.