Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] MFD: e120W, RS125 GPS and VHF 240
07-14-19, 09:14 AM (This post was last modified: 07-18-19 01:43 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] MFD: e120W, RS125 GPS and VHF 240
All,
Looking for confirmation that this combination actually works. I have a Raymarine MFD e120W with a Raystar 125 GPS and a Raymarine 240 VHF radio. I've followed every thread known to mankind on this combination. But yet... "no gps".

Here's what the cabling looks like:

GPS RS125 --> NMEA Cabling to the Seatalk/STNG Converter (white connector)
e120W/MFD --> NMEA Cabling to the same SeaTalk/STNG Converter (white Connector)
240 VFF --> 3 Pin SeaTalk cable spliced to remove the red wire (power) and connected the yellow to yellow, screen to screen --> connected to th SeaTalk/STNG Converter (Yellow connector).

The only variable i can see in my combination preventing this from working is that the Software Code on the VHF is 2.20. I noticed in the release notes that the v2.23 (Dec 2010) has a note that says "SeaTalk1 communications issue resolved during power up".

Anyone have the same setup that could confirm/deny ??? when we purchased this boat many years ago -- we thought it was just a glitch, but the more and more i look into this - it appears to be a bug.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-19, 01:59 PM
RE: [CA11] MFD: e120W, RS125 GPS and VHF 240
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Bdfritz,

The RS125 does not feature a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface, and as such cannot be interfaced to a spur socket (white) within a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The RS125 GPS Sensor features a communications interface which will support either SeaTalk or NMEA 0183 communications. Most will interface the RS125 GPS Sensor to support SeaTalk communications. To do so, the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will need to be interfaced to both the Ray240 and to the RS125 GPS Sensor. This would typically be accomplished by connecting the SeaTalk to SeaTalk Converter Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit to the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The press-fit 3-pin plug of this cable would then be connected to a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. An appropriate length of SeaTalk Cable having press-fit 3-pin plugs on each end would then be used to connect the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block to the Ray240. Finally, a second appropriate length of SeaTalk Cable having press-fit 3-pin plugs on each end would be used to connect the RS125 GPS Sensor to the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. When connecting the RS125 GPS Sensor's Cable to the SeaTalk Cable, you will need to remove the plug from the SeaTalk Cable and then connect the leads of each cable as follows with either splices or a terminal strip:

- Connect the SeaTalk Cable's power (red) lead to the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor's red and green leads
- Connect the SeaTalk Cable's data (yellow) lead to the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor's yellow lead
- Connect the SeaTalk Cable's ground (shield) lead to the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor's brown and black/bare leads

Additionally, it will be necessary to supply power to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone created by the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. To do so, the supplied SeaTalkng Power Cable (red w/black strip) should be interfaced to a switched 12VDC power circuit and then connected to one of the spur (white) sockets of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

Finally, a blue SeaTalkng Termination Plug must be installed within the two SeaTalkng backbone (blue) sockets of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.
07-24-19, 07:48 PM
Thank you Chuck. With your response - I was able to finally get things connected and working perfectly.
07-25-19, 08:25 AM
You're welcome.