Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Axiom 9 and eS78 quit talking
07-15-19, 09:04 PM (This post was last modified: 07-19-19 09:27 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Axiom 9 and eS78 quit talking
I installed a new system comprised of Axiom 9, eS78 (lighthouse 3), i50, i60, HS5, plus 2 NMEA0183 units. I set up the eS78 as data master due to the NMEA0183. I had the chart chip installed in the Axiom which was the only way I could get charts to be viewed on both units. NMEA0183 inputs (AIS) were on both units also. The other day I had no charts on the eS78. Tried moving chart chip to the eS78, no charts on the Axiom. Tried changing which was data master, no help. It was like the units had quit talking. lights on the HS-5 were indicating normal. Tried rebooting both units to no avail.

Doug M
sv Rebecca Leah
C&C Landfall 39
Puget Sound
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-19-19, 09:37 AM
RE: [CA11] Axiom 9 and eS78 quit talking
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Doug,

Note regarding Data Master Designation and NMEA 0183 communications: Unlike SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications, where only the Data Master's MFD's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface is active, the NMEA 0183 port of any within the will be active ... irrespective of whether the MFD has been designated as the system's Data Master MFD. Accordingly and as the Axiom MFD features the greatest processing power within the system, it would be recommended that the Axiom MFD within your system be configured as the system's Data Master MFD if it has been interfaced to a spur socket within the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.

Q. It was like the units had quit talking.
A. Please note that I have been unable to duplicate the reported issue within a system featuring Axiom / Axiom Pro MFDs / eS-Series MFDs running LH3 v3.10.39 software. It would be recommended that the MFD's software be updated and that a Power ON Factory Reset procedure be executed. There were many odd issues related to the LH3 v3.8.x and v3.9.x software, many of which, were corrected through execution of the Power ON Factory Reset procedure. That said, LH3 v3.10.39 was released earlier this week. It is recommended that this software be installed within the system's MFDs and that the Power ON Factory Reset procedure then be executed on each of the system's MFDs to correct the reported behavior. Should the problem persist after having performed the items recommended above, then please respond accordingly.
08-05-19, 07:07 PM
Hi Chuck,
I upgraded my Axiom 9 to version 3.10.42, accomplished a factory reset on both units.
After powering both units up again. I still have to have the eS78 as data master for the NEMA0183 data, not a problem for me.
After about 10-15 minutes I shut the system down. Upon powering up system, I noticed that upon accessing the chart screen on the Axiom, it would go into a continuous loop of rebooting. going from a screen displaying "AXIOM" to "LIGHTHOUSE 3" to almost displaying only numbers on the data page before returning to AXIOM.
I have not tried to access any other pages after the up-grade set up was accomplished.

Doug M
sv Rebecca Leah
C&C Landfall 39
Puget Sound
08-06-19, 07:49 AM
Doug,

We're sorry to learn of the reported behavior with LH3 v3.10.39. Should the problem be duplicated following the Power On Factory Reset and should the MFD's settings have been manually reconfigured following the Power On Factory Reset operation (i.e. not restored for a file of saved settings), then the following would be recommended:
- a system diagram (hand drawn will generally suffice) identifying the makes and models of each of the marine electronics devices within the system (including computers / tablets running navigational planning / chartplotting applications) may be be requested to support an investigation. The diagram should additionally identify how these devices have been interfaced to one another.

- the system's Ethernet and SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 device data (HOME->SET-UP->NETWORK->DIAGNOSTICS->PRODUCT INFO->SAVE DATA)

- the MFD's logs (HOME->SET-UP->NETWORK->DIAGNOSTICS->SAVE LOGS)

- the MFD's crash logs (HOME->SET-UP->NETWORK->DIAGNOSTICS->SAVE MFDS CRASH LOGS)

- the MFD's system logs (HOME->SET-UP->NETWORK->DIAGNOSTICS->SAVE SYSTEM LOGS)

These items may be attached to a response to this thread. Upon receiving this supporting data, a problem report will be logged to investigate the problem using received data and to seek its correction within the next software update.

Also, as indicated within my earlier response, it would be recommended that the Axiom MFD within your system be configured as the system's Data Master MFD if it has been interfaced to a spur socket within the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone ... if not, then it would be recommended that the Axiom MFD be interfaced to the backbone to permit it to be configured as the system's Daat Master MFD.
08-10-19, 12:08 PM
Hi Chuck
I updated to Lighthouse 3.10.42. on the AXIOM, preformed a factory reset
on both the Axiom and eS78. I tried to set the AXIOM 9 as datamaster. When this is done I loose my AIS data.
Switched back to eS78 as Data master, now when I access chart page on the AXIOM 9 it goes into a continuous reboot cycle between "AXIOM" and the start of the chart page (shows only numbers). There is a brief time that the Lighthouse 3 lighthouse is displayed. all other functions appear to work correctly. All functions on the eS78 appear to work properly also.

Thanks
Doug.

Doug M
sv Rebecca Leah
C&C Landfall 39
Puget Sound
08-20-19, 12:47 PM
Doug,

Did you perform a Power On Factory Reset or did you execute the Factory Reset option found within the MFD's settings options? Did you do so to both of the system's MFDs?