Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] must transducer be on startboard side?
07-24-19, 06:03 AM (This post was last modified: 07-29-19 03:10 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] must transducer be on startboard side?
must transducer be on starboard side?
dragonfly pro5/ 22'pocket cruiser 70" beam
I have one main 175hp engine w/ a standard right hand propeller the transducer is mounted on the starboard side just inside the trim tab.

I've been wanting to add a 10HP kicker engine it would be much easier to rig on the starboard side however I don't want it interfering w/ the transducer.

could the transducer be relocated to the port side?this would require extending the cable
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-29-19, 03:12 PM (This post was last modified: 08-26-19 09:01 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] must transducer be on startboard side?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum TB,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. For single outboard / single I/O applications, the transducer should be installed on the starboard side of the transom. As noted therein, lowering the aft end of the transducer a notch or two can also improve performance at speeds nearing plane and while on plane. Shifting the transducer to the port side of the hull may cause the transducer to experience turbulence associated with back pressure from the right hand rotating propeller, thereby adversely affecting sonar performance.
08-24-19, 06:23 AM (This post was last modified: 08-26-19 08:53 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
good info Chuck
I have been informed inside hull transducers won't work w/ aluminum hull is this true or false? additionally engines are setback 20"
thanks TB
08-26-19, 09:01 AM
TB,

Q1. I have been informed inside hull transducers won't work w/ aluminum hull is this true or false?
A1. True. In hull transducers are exclusively designed for use within hulls constructed of solid fiberglass ... maximum thickness of the hull is dependent upon the chosen transducer.

Q2. additionally engines are setback 20"
A2. Setback outboards, such as would be achieved with jack plate or engine mounting bracket, can often improve fishfinder performance by permitting transom mounted transducers to be mounted well forward of the engine(s).
08-29-19, 06:05 AM (This post was last modified: 08-29-19 07:48 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
hello Chuck you're response was for a single engine maybe you missed the part about the second kicker trolling engine.

the majority of kickers (even w/ minimal setback) I see on similarly sized vessels are mounted to the port side.thanks TB
08-29-19, 07:53 AM
the Brain,

I would recommend mounting the kicker on the port side of the vessel, in spite of the installation challenges it may cause. Doing so and then installing the fishfinder transducer on the starboard side of the transom should yield the best fishfinder imaging from the system.
08-29-19, 09:43 AM (This post was last modified: 08-29-19 12:42 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
well I could install a tiller kicker to simplify a port side mount.
still undecided on tiller or binnacle still researching.
I’ve picked the 2013+ Suzuki 15HP electronic fuel injection.

Vessel’s hull is aluminum 22’ (add 20” main engine bracket) 75” beam 45” transom 1800LBs old pocket cruiser

I'd like to know how much setback will keep the starside mounted kicker engines prop wash from interfering w/ transducer also on starside like is there a rule of thumb.thanks Chuck for quick reply
08-29-19, 12:45 PM (This post was last modified: 08-29-19 12:46 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
the Brain,

Unfortunately, I don't have any recommended minimum for/aft offset for mounting a transom mounted transducer for bracket mounted engines and kicker motors. If mounting on the kicker on the starboard side of the transom, then the transducer should be installed on the starboard side of the kicker, outside of the arc of the prop when engine is rotated fully to starboard. This will typically cause the transducer to be mounted higher with respect to the waterline, which may affect performance while operating at planing speeds.