Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] P70 Integration with Axiom Pro and SPX30
07-28-19, 10:37 AM (This post was last modified: 07-31-19 03:29 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] P70 Integration with Axiom Pro and SPX30
When I updated my E120W to Axiom Pro 12, I knew the MFD would no longer be able to interface to the autopilot, and have been using my autopilot in stand-alone mode ever since.

I'd like to just replace my ST70 autopilot controller with the p70. (I saw the sticky article on using the p70 with older course computers.) Will this enable my Axiom Pro to interface with the autopilot, assuming I maintain my existing SPX30 course computer, flux gate compass, rudder position transducer, and type-2 hydraulic ram?

Or, would I also need to update to the EV-1 sensor and ACU-400 to integrate my Axiom Pro with the autopilot?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-19, 03:33 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-19 03:34 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] P70 Integration with Axiom Pro and SPX30
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum cdiversions,

SPX autopilots which have been updated with the latest available software may indeed be interfaced to Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFDs. For clarification purposes, commanding navigation (i.e. commanding Go To Cursor / Waypoint or Follow Route) from a MFD running LightHouse 3 software (ex. Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFDs) will not automatically engage any autopilot other than an Evolution autopilot. Within such systems, the autopilot's control head must be used to command the autopilot into Track mode after first having commanded navigation via the MFD. SPX autopilot component should not be interfaced to the system via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Instead, the ST70 Autopilot Control Head and SPX Autopilot Course computer must each instead be interfaced as an individual spur to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.

SPX autopilot components must be updated with the latest available software or they may not support proper communications with MFDs running LightHouse 3 or LightHouse II software. Unfortunately, SPX autopilot components are not designed to be updated by Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom MFD. Should you have one of the legacy MFDs which were designed to update software within SPX autopilot components (see the SPX Autopilot Course Computer software update web page and ST70 Autopilot Control Head software update web page, then the software within these components may be updated by a Certified Raymarine Installer or by Raymarine’s Product Repair Center.

Finally, it is indeed possible to replace a ST70 Autopilot Control Head with a p70S/p70/p70RS/p70R Autopilot Control Head as long as the SPX Autopilot Course Computer has first been updated with the latest available SPX Autopilot Course Computer Software.
08-01-19, 07:22 PM
If I have a p70 controlling an SPX, is that considered an Evolution autopilot?
08-02-19, 08:04 AM
cdiversions,

Q. If I have a p70 controlling an SPX, is that considered an Evolution autopilot?
A. Negative. The model of autopilot is determined by the model of course computer which is installed onboard the vessel ... in this case a SPX30. The course computer component of an Evolution autopilot is its EV-1/EV-2 CCU. Autopilot control heads are simply responsible for issuing commands to the exercise features of the autopilot course computer.