Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Lighthouse v17 wifi connection problems
05-25-16, 01:47 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-18 01:19 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Lighthouse v17 wifi connection problems
Hi, having two issues (and a gui bug) with v17 related to getting Internet connectivity via wifi from my es series (trying to get the new Grib weather service up and running).

1. Refuses connection to an iPhone wifi hotspot (6s latest iOS version). after pressing connect on the Es I'm retuned to the wifi connections list immediately. A dialogue appears a few minutes later saying it can't connect). Have tried over a dozen times to connect (inc system resets, deleting preferences etc). Only other odd thing is the iPhone's hotspot name (on the Es) appears with some odd characters - like it's not translating Unicode correctly- also connecting to the Es to use Ray control via an iPad works fine.

Anyway would love some help getting Internet to my Es as I'm keen to start up my Grib forecast subscription.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-25-16, 06:34 PM
RE: Lighthouse v17 wifi connection problems
This wont help your issue, but I had the same problem with v16 which seems resolved in v17. Wifi worked in v15 and then refused to connect in v16. in v17 it started working again. I would play with the encryption type or try changing the ssid & password. that helped me in v16 to get it working.
05-25-16, 08:33 PM (This post was last modified: 05-26-16 10:11 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
jeokeefe,

Thanks, will try changing encryption SSID and password and report back.
05-26-16, 02:45 PM (This post was last modified: 05-26-16 03:12 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
To clarify the issue I am experiencing is not with connecting raymarine apps (from iPad to ES - that works fine)) or the raymarine Gribviewer / theyr app on the ES. The problem is getting the ES with v17.45 to connect via wifi to an iPhone 6s hotspot for Internet access. The iPhone's hotspot encrytion is WPA2, over 802.11g/n and works with other devices connecting to the same hotspot at the time of testing. (ES reports a Minced SSID, Very strong signal, WPA2 security and channel 1 when attempting to connect). See attached image.

As far as I can tell encryption cannot be disabled from the iPhone's hotspot setup, so are you suggesting that I am able to force an unencrypted connection from the ES? Thanks again.

Rob

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-26-16, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 05-27-16 09:47 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ryearsley,

Thanks for further clarifying the issue. We configured one of the team's iPhone 6+ as a Wi-Fi hotspot this morning and then commanded our eS-Series MFD (updated with v17.45 software) to connect to it. The MFD was then able to successfully check online for Raymarine equipment software updates (i.e. we used the MFD's CHECK ONLINE FOR UPDATES feature). You may want to experiment with use of a very simple password (ex. "12345678"). Alternatively, you may want to give jeokeefe's suggestion a try.
05-26-16, 08:55 PM
When I had the issue I was able to mess with my wi-fi router's settings, and yes an non-password connection worked. I dont know if you can accomplish this and have this level of control with the iPhone hotspot.
05-27-16, 11:57 AM (This post was last modified: 05-27-16 12:50 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ok got it working by doing the following:

Simplified SSID on the iPhone with no apostrophe
Turned off wifi encryption for the ES

When I have time Monday I will experiment a bit more to narrow down the issue further and report back.
05-27-16, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the update Rob.
05-27-16, 09:18 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-16 08:30 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I have similar issue Chuck
I can conect the internet using my andoid device as hotspot, check for online updates in my C125 (updated with v17.45 software) but when I try to connect the GRIB get the message that it is not possible to connect to internet
06-10-18, 10:18 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-18 01:13 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I just experienced this issue with a new a78 with Lighthouse 19.03-00036.

I found that punctuation or spaces in the access point name will cause Lighthouse to fail to connect. The default name for my iPhone contained both. After renaming it connects fine.