Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] ADVICE ON CONNECTION OF RAYMARINE EQUIPMENT
07-31-19, 05:11 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-19 08:25 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] ADVICE ON CONNECTION OF RAYMARINE EQUIPMENT
I recently purchased a 2006 sailing catamaran with the following equipment

Raymarine E12 mfd with radar, depth sounder, log and wind instruments and an interphase SE 200 forward looking sonar. This gear is all working fine I plan to replace the radar with a raymarine Quantum 2 Q24D coupled to an Axiom 12
chartplotter and install an AIS 700 class B with splitter. The axiom 12 system will have it's own power supply and aerial so I'll have the two independent systems running in parallel. If and when the interphase breaks down I plan to add a down & side vision sonar to the axiom 12.

I have quotes for the axiom 12, quantum 2 and AIS 700 from four different suppliers, however I was hoping for advice on the connection method, the description and price differ from each supplier.

Supplier 1 "STNG Backbone Kit"

Supplier 2 "seatalk NG starter kit with female Devicenet Cable"

Supplier 3 "STNG Starter Kit device net to STNG Cable 1 mtr."

Supplier 4 "NEMA2000 Starter Kit includes 2 terminating resistors (TR-120M-RD,
TR-120F-RD), two T connectors (N2K-T-RD), one 2ft extension cable
(N2KEXT-2RD) and one 15ft. extension cable (N2KEXT-15RD), & a
power node, one N2K-T-RD T connector.

My boat lives in Ballina NSW Australia and there are no Raymarine techos within 100 miles and even though I am an electrician I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks for listening.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-15-19, 10:08 PM
RE: [TG11] ADVICE ON CONNECTION OF RAYMARINE EQUIPMENT
Hello popeye46,

There are many different (equivalent) ways this could be connected up, depending in part on what the supplier stocks or is familiar with, whether you might be likely to connect other Raymarine or 3rd-party NMEA2000 devices in later, and which models of GPS antenna and AIS you’re planning to install.

Assuming that the GPS is our RS150 and the AIS is our AIS700, this could be done with either of two cable types. The industry standard is Devicenet, whilst Raymarine uses our own SeatalkNG (STNG) cabling in most products. We believe that STNG is superior (smaller connectors, colour-coding for easier and less error-prone connection) but the data is the same whichever cabling is used, so as long as you have the right adaptors the system will work equally well with either.

Axiom MFDs and AIS700 have Devicenet connectors, almost everything else we make (including RS150) has STNG. You could therefore cable this system with either STNG cabling (options 1, 3 and presumably 2 though they don’t mention a Devicenet adaptor) with one or two Devicenet adaptors (depending on whether the AIS is AIS650, AIS700 or non-Raymarine), or with Devicenet cabling (option 4) with one or two Devicenet-STNG adaptors for RS150 GPS and possibly the AIS.

As you can see, there are many possibilities and options and as a result I would always recommend getting this sort of thing through a technical service dealer who will know the answers to all of these questions and provide the right cabling as a matter of course. If you tick ‘Certified Installation’ on our Dealer Locator (http://www.raymarine.com.au/display/?id=911) then you’ll see your nearest technical dealer. If you don’t have a Service dealer near you then if you can confirm exactly what AIS and GPS you’re getting, I can give a more specific answer.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply