Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] Wheel Pilot error.
08-06-19, 09:28 AM (This post was last modified: 08-07-19 02:41 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] Wheel Pilot error.
My system has developed a problem whereby the readout on the wheel pilot differs from that on the ships compass, thereby rendering the Autohelm unusable.
The difference (bearing offset) resembles a deviation curve (see attached spreadsheet) from no difference to about twenty degrees out (+ve), back through no error and on to 20 degrees out (-ve).
I have tried, several times, to recalibrate the Wheel Pilot (Autohelm)
I have checked the ships compass against a hand held.
I have checked that there is nothing near the fluxgate compass that could influence it.
I have disconnected the fluxgate from the instrument and measured the resistance across the various pairs as described on the Raymarine fault finding notes and all are well within tolerance.
Its a Seatalk1 system ST4000+ and Fluxgate plus several other instruments.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-16-19, 09:15 AM
RE: [DG11] Wheel Pilot error.
Dear russ_stuart,

This does seem to resemble an issue with interference with the fluxgate, albeit a metal object or electromagnetic field.

If you have eliminated the fluxgate compass and any sources of deviation it is possible the ST4000 is faulty. Can you confirm if the unit is black or grey?

I suggest contacting your local Raymarine dealer to see if the ST4000 is faulty, you can find your nearest one here.

Many Thanks
Louise
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply