Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] No GPS Info on MFD GPS Status Page
08-06-19, 07:44 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-19 02:33 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] No GPS Info on MFD GPS Status Page
Had to replace GPS Sensor with RS150 via a network adapter as system is seatalk not seatalkng
GPS position now all good but the GPS status page does not show the satellite information
Also some time issues
I read somewhere that the seatalk to seatalkng adapter does not allow some GPS info to go from the GPS sensor(on seatalkng) to the MFD (on seatalk)
Is that correct and is there any way to fix
Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-08-19, 10:50 AM (This post was last modified: 08-20-19 10:41 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] No GPS Info on MFD GPS Status Page
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum magic8,

Q. The GPS status page does not show the satellite information.
A. This is indeed a limitation of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. As you have suggested, the critical GPS data is bridged by the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. For system featuring a MFD which supports SeaTalkng communications when updated with the latest available software for the MFD (ex. E-Series Classic MFDs, GPM400, C/E-Series Widescreen MFDs), it would be recommended that the MFD be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus and instead be interfaced to the system via the MFD's SeaTalkng communications interface to permit access to more data. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing the proper method to interface a Raystar 150 GPS Sensor to an E-Series Classic MFD.
08-11-19, 09:02 PM
Thanks for info
Is it possible to simply connect the E80 to the seatalkng adapter by using another connecter on the instrument or is it not that easy.
Also the time on the MFD seems to be locked to UTC since we installed the adapter and I believe that also comes from the GPS antenna.
Thanks again
08-20-19, 10:44 AM
magic 8,

Q1. Is it possible to simply connect the E80 to the seatalkng adapter by using another connecter on the instrument or is it not that easy.
A1. Negative. Please refer to the FAQ referenced within my initial response to view how the Raystar 150 GPS Sensor should be interfaced to an E-Series Classic MFD

Q2. Also the time on the MFD seems to be locked to UTC since we installed the adapter and I believe that also comes from the GPS antenna.
A2. When interfaced in the manner specified within the referenced FAQ and when the local time offset has been properly configured, the reported symptom should not be observed.
09-14-19, 08:43 PM
Is there any possible way that the displayed boat position on the E80 can be inaccurate!
Since we have replaced the RS125 with the new RS150 via the seatalk to seatalkng adapter we always get a fix very quickly but suspect it may not be as accurate as before
Is this possible or maybe just need to update charts
Thanks
09-16-19, 08:39 AM
magic8,

Q1. Is there any possible way that the displayed boat position on the E80 can be inaccurate. Since we have replaced the RS125 with the new RS150 via the seatalk to seatalkng adapter we always get a fix very quickly but suspect it may not be as accurate as before. Is this possible or maybe just need to update charts
A1. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
09-16-19, 03:38 PM (This post was last modified: 09-16-19 04:09 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Further to previous message concerning inaccurate GPS position presented on E80 I have added an attachment showing an obvious error in position.
I was coming into my home port and luckily was hand steering in through the leads when I looked at the GPS position on the E80 was seen to be sailing over the land and nowhere near the channel.
I did have time to reset the GPS and it all came back to normal showing the boat position correctly.
I can only assume the new GPS antenna needs to be replaced unless you have any other options.
Thanks

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

09-16-19, 04:18 PM
magic8,

What is the Chart application's Chart offset setting configured to? What value is reported within the HDOP field of the MFD's GPS Status dialog? Have you compared the boat's coordinates reported by the MFD with those of another GPS source as recommended within the referenced FAQ?
09-17-19, 03:49 PM
Did not have time to check either as busy with sails ,fenders etc coming into port. Did reset GPS on the same GPS status page but did not notice HDOP
Will take boat out for another sail soon but after GPS reset boat position moved approximately 200 metres to the correct position as I was adjacent to a channel marker which was marked on the chart.
09-18-19, 07:50 AM (This post was last modified: 09-18-19 07:57 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
magic8,

It is recommended that you ensure that your Raystar 150 GPS Sensor has received the Raystar 150 GPS Sensor v1.24 software update. If not, then its software should be updated accordingly. Should the problem persist thereafter and the GPS be installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead, then please ensure that your Raystar 150 GPS Sensor has been interfaced to the system as indicated within the corresponding FAQ addressing how to do so. If not, then please indicate how the Raystar 150 GPS Sensor has been interfaced to your system.