Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Element HV Chart Question
08-14-19, 04:36 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-19 09:57 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Element HV Chart Question
Not a techie, so I'm sure the answer is simple. Just not to me.

Took my new Element HV 9" out for a spin today, using the Navionics card. I found that the micro card had to be installed or the chart detail (contour lines, channel markers, etc.) was not displayed and the display useless for general navigation. Remove the card and the detail disappeared. I thought I did what was necessary to upload the charts from the card to the Element, but maybe I missed something. Does the Navionics card have to remain in the machine to have the necessary navigation/fishing data available or can that data be installed into a memory bank in the unit?

If the Navionics card has to be installed to use the navigation charts, how can user data be saved? Is it saved to the Navionics card? It seems to me that daily trip data would be lost if the Navionics card must be removed and another card inserted.

I'm trying to learn.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-19, 10:11 AM
RE: [CA11] Element HV Chart Question
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum jdl1948,

Q1. Does the Navionics card have to remain in the machine to have the necessary navigation/fishing data available or can that data be installed into a memory bank in the unit?
A1. Yes. Like most currently manufactured chartplotting devices which are dependent upon copyrighted cartography, Raymarine's chartplotting are dependent upon having a chart card with a compatible type of cartography (LightHouse Vector, LightHouse Raster, LightHouse NC-2, Navionics, or C-Map) present within the chartplotter's memory card reader whenever desiring to view detailed charts. The chartplotter will interactively read data from the chart card. There is no provision within the chartplotter to import/install charts into the MFD's internal memory.

Q2. If the Navionics card has to be installed to use the navigation charts, how can user data be saved? Is it saved to the Navionics card?
A2. User data may be saved to a Navionics chart card or to blank microSD card purchased separately. It is recommended that any sonar loggin be saved to one's chart card, while waypoint/route/track data (stored within the MFD's internal memory) may be saved to a the card of your choice.

Q3. It seems to me that daily trip data would be lost if the Navionics card must be removed and another card inserted.
A3. Such sonar logging data would not be lost. However, if using the chartplotter RealBathy / SonarChart Live feature, such data should be saved onto one's chart card.
08-24-19, 03:21 PM (This post was last modified: 08-26-19 08:09 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you. Clears up a major question. I'm still learning the system, but I'm very satisfied so far.
08-26-19, 08:09 AM
You're welcome.