Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] EVOLUTION Auto Pilot, point of confusion
08-17-19, 07:06 AM (This post was last modified: 08-21-19 10:23 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] EVOLUTION Auto Pilot, point of confusion
I have installed the Evolution Autopilot connecting all devices to the backbone. I then joined this backbone to the MFD backbone that has the RayStar 130, and network connections for the e127, and it is powered by the red striped cable. I saw that the Autopilot manual states this:

• ON — The ACU-200, ACU-300, ACU-400 will supply power to the SeaTalkng® backbone.
ImportantEnsure that there are no other power feeds connected into the backbone.
• OFF — The ACU-200, ACU-300, ACU-400 will NOT supply power to the SeaTalkng® backbone. Ensure that there is a separate power feed to the SeaTalkng® backbone.

This is redundant, if I disconnected the MFD backbone power cord, and the Autopilot is off, there would be no power to the backbones. Can you clarify for me?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-19, 10:23 AM
RE: [CA11] EVOLUTION Auto Pilot, point of confusion
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Tony,

It is considered to be a best installation practice that the ACU not supply power to the backbone and that its SeaTalkng power switch be configured to the OFF position. It is recommended that the backbone be powered via the SeaTalkng Power Cable which in turn has been interfaced to a switched 12VDC power circuit. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
08-21-19, 06:22 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-19 08:02 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
SO, looking at the FAQ, I have run a separate power cable and respective ground for the electronics. The new circuit is protected with a 40 AMP breaker, and each individual device has its own respective recommended fuse from the power buss bar. Should the electronics be switched off by their respective power switches when ending use, or just shut off the switch to the powered buss bar?
08-22-19, 08:04 AM
Tony,

Q. Should the electronics be switched off by their respective power switches when ending use, or just shut off the switch to the powered buss bar?
A. It is completely satisfactory to switch off power to the equipment by simply switching off the breaker which is supplying power to the electronics buss bar.
08-22-19, 12:06 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-19 03:57 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you. That will make life a lot easier, rather than using the switches upon the MFD’s and Pilot. So, if I am switching the SEA TALKING power switch to the OFF position, does that mean that that particular cable still needs to be connected to the backbone network?
08-22-19, 03:58 PM
Tony,

Q. So, if I am switching the SEA TALKING power switch to the OFF position, does that mean that that particular cable still needs to be connected to the backbone network?
A. Yes.
08-22-19, 04:35 PM (This post was last modified: 08-23-19 12:28 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
All questions have been answered. Again, your concise answers are deeply appreciated!
08-23-19, 12:28 PM
You're welcome.