Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Building a new system with Radar Overlay, AIS etc
08-21-19, 11:41 PM (This post was last modified: 08-23-19 10:09 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Building a new system with Radar Overlay, AIS etc
Hi there I'm wanting to put in a new system in my fishing boat. I have basically decided on an Axiom 12 with Real downvision, a Quantum 2 radar dome for doppler radar.

When you fish for Salmon at 3 mph, it is very important that you can see all the small boats coming at you at similar slow speeds, often we can have 20 boats within a kilometer radius. That's one of the reasons why I want Radar overlay over the chart.

Now my questions are:
* Besides the Axiom and quantum 2 (plan to use WIFI) units, what else do I need to get?
* I was planning and hoping to use a Ray73 VHF (or similar) over NMEA 2000 to get the AIS (and distress GPS signal setup over NMEA 2000).
* I guess I need a heading sensor? Ev-1 or similar, would prefer to do it all over NMEA 2000 for simplicity.
* Plus cabling and device net spurs, terminators etc
* Main question: with all this stuff in place trolling at 2-3 mph, will I get radar overlay over the chart?

I'm sure this has been asked before, I'm sorry I couldn't find it here in the forum.

Thank you
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-19, 10:18 AM
RE: [CA11] Building a new system with Radar Overlay, AIS etc
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum andreasb,

Q1. Besides the Axiom and quantum 2 (plan to use WIFI) units, what else do I need to get?
A1. It would be recommended that an AR200 Augmented Reality Sensor be interfaced to the system. In addition to supplying the system with heading data, it may additionally be used to supply the system with GPS data. A powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone will need to be installed onboard. The MFD, AR200, and RAY73 will each be interfaced as as an individual spur to this backbone.

Q2. I was planning and hoping to use a Ray73 VHF (or similar) over NMEA 2000 to get the AIS (and distress GPS signal setup over NMEA 2000).
A2. See the response to Q1.

Q3. I guess I need a heading sensor? Ev-1 or similar, would prefer to do it all over NMEA 2000 for simplicity. Plus cabling and device net spurs, terminators etc
A3. See the response to Q1.

Q4. Main question: with all this stuff in place trolling at 2-3 mph, will I get radar overlay over the chart?
A4. Yes. I would also recommend a Quantum II over a Quantum radome for this application as it supports Doppler Radar features to provide at a glance situational awareness when monitoring target movements within the Radar application.
08-23-19, 05:10 PM (This post was last modified: 08-26-19 09:02 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you I will ponder this, I guess I need more then one spur for the Seatalk.... since i need a power connection as well (?)
08-26-19, 09:06 AM
andreasb,

Correct. The number of spur sockets within a backbone will need to greater or equal to 1 + NUMBER OF SEATALKNG/NMEA 2000 DEVICES.