Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] P319 Interface to Axiom Pro
08-22-19, 11:41 AM (This post was last modified: 08-23-19 08:31 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] P319 Interface to Axiom Pro
I have a P319 connected to a DMS300. I am updating the electronics on my full keel boat. Is the P319 compatible with the Axiom Pro and if so do I need an adapter cable and which one?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-19, 09:00 AM
RE: [CA11] P319 Interface to Axiom Pro
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum eljacksjr,

Of the Axiom Pro MFDs, only the Axiom Pro RVX MFDs feature a port (1kW Transducer) which may be adapted to be mated to fishfinder transducers which were designed to be directly (i.e. no adaptation) to a DSM30/DSM300/CP300/CP370 fishfinder sounder module. That said and while DSM30/DSM300 fishfinder sounder modules are not supported for use with Axiom system, customers have anecdotally found them to indeed function with MFDs (including Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFDs) running LightHouse 3 software at least through v3.10.42. Accordingly, it would be recommended that it be retained for use with the new MFD if one has an operational DSM30/300.

The advantage of external fishfinder sounder modules over the internal fishfinder circuitry found within MFDs include:

- the sole function of an external fishfinder is to process analog fishfinder transducer signals. As such external sounder modules do not have additional circuitry (ex. displays, WiFi, etc.) which can potentially be a source of signal noise which may adversely affect sonar performance. Typically, external fishfinder sonar modules will provide the greatest level of fishfinding performance (depth and image quality) over a MFD's internal fishfinder circuitry.

- chasing fishfinder transducers cables (which must not be splice or otherwise modified) and particularly their large plugs to an external fishfinder sounder module is often easier than to a MFD.

- Ethernet communications cable (RayNet) feature plugs which are much smaller than those found on fishfinder transducer cables. Ethernet cables may also be cut to accommodate chasing and then spliced back together (it is typically recommended that shielded RJ45 (M) plugs be fitted to the cut cable ends and that a waterproof RJ45 (F) to RJ45 (F) coupler be used to join the cable ends.

Should the MFD be installed within a binnacle with tubing through which power/communications cables must be chased, then it would typically be recommended that an Axiom Pro S MFD be installed rather than an Axiom Pro RVX MFD. Within such systems, should 50kHz/200kHz fishfinder sonar be desired then it would be recommended that a CP370 fishfinder sounder module (in your case a DSM300) be installed and interfaced to the system. Alternatively, should RealVision, SideVision, DownVision, and low power/high frequency CHIRP conical sonar imaging be desired alone or in addition to 50kHz/200kHz fishfinder sonar, then it would be recommended that a RVX-1000 fishfinder sounder module be installed
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply