Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Radar Cable Cut - Reconnect?
08-26-19, 06:52 PM (This post was last modified: 08-29-19 10:39 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Radar Cable Cut - Reconnect?
When un-stepping the mast, the guys in the marina cut the radar cable, claiming they could not find any other way to disconnect it.

How do I reconnect the two ends? Is there a plug / connector that can be used, so that it can be easily disconnected and reconnected again, or do I use a terminal block or something else?

Can you recommend instructional videos on how to splice the various wires in the cable?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-29-19, 10:42 AM
RE: [CA11] Radar Cable Cut - Reconnect?
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum viben,

What model of radome presently installed onboard the boat?
09-08-19, 01:37 PM
Raymarine E92130 RD418D digital radar.
09-09-19, 09:33 AM
Viben,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
09-15-19, 11:53 AM
Hi Chuck,

I checked out the link you referred to, but it seems to refer to a LAN cable.

The cable that was cut in my case is different. I seems to contain two coaxial cables. Please see the attached photo.

I assume this cable is related to the radar, since everything else mounted on the mast works properly, including the VHF, which uses another coaxial cable.

Your guidance will be appreciated.
09-16-19, 08:31 AM (This post was last modified: 09-16-19 08:35 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Viben,

The cable which you have referenced appears to be a Digital Radar Cable (the photo quality is relatively poor) and contains no coaxial leads. Digital Radar Cables and Digital Radar Extension Cables are actually two cables (an Ethernet (LAN) cable and a power cable) which have been enclosed within an outer sheath. The previously referenced FAQ addresses how the leads of these cables may be rejoined. When rejoining the cables, care must be taken to also rejoin their shields.
09-23-19, 07:59 PM
I will take a closer look at the cable ends when I get a chance to get back on board the boat, and will revert to you then, if I need further assistance.

In the mean time, are you able to provide a drawing/outline of what's what in that digital radar cable, ie. each wire contained in the cable that needs to be reconnected?
09-24-19, 08:20 AM
viben,

Q. Are you able to provide a drawing/outline of what's what in that digital radar cable, ie. each wire contained in the cable that needs to be reconnected?
A. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. All wires within these cable and the shield need to be re-joined when the cable is spliced back together.