Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Upgrade E80 MFDs and Pathfinder Radar Integration
09-21-19, 04:35 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-19 02:14 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Upgrade E80 MFDs and Pathfinder Radar Integration
I am planning to replace two networked E80s and current Pathfinder Radome with two networked Axiom 9s and Quantum Doppler radar on my 2005 sailboat. All components are original except the AIS 700, which was added in 2018 I have read many posts on the forum and reviewed numerous Seatalkng documents. I realize I probably need to replace some instruments, displays and/or transducers (wind?) as well.

I have mapped out the wiring and could provide details if necessary. In the meantime, is it fair to ask you to review the attached inventory and suggest what I can keep and what I need to replace or add in addition to the MFDs and Radar.

Thank you.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Raymarine_2005 Sailboat Inventory_2019.09.21.pdf (Size: 28.65 KB / Downloads: 259)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-23-19, 03:01 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-19 03:27 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Upgrade E80 MFDs and Pathfinder Radar Integration
R2Straebel,

There's a very good chance that the items listed (if operational) may be retained for use with the new Axiom MFDs. While ST290s are not supported (to include testing) for use with Raymarine's latest products, we have anecdotal feedback of compatibility via SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Please note that the ST6001 is an autopilot control head. What model of autopilot course computer is installed onboard? Do you know which device the VHF radio has been interfaced to which in turn is supply it with GPS data?
09-24-19, 09:31 AM
Regarding the VHF, the power supply cord includes three (RCA?) plug-style connectors. The White and Black plugs are unused. The Red plug consists of two conductors, both connected to “NMEA OUT” on the ST60 Multi Instrument at the helm station. The white internal wire is connected to the Positive (+) and the clear-shielded copper internal wire to Negative (-).

Other connections to the VHF include the antenna connection to the AIS 700 and the 12V power supply and ground.

Regarding the autopilot SmartPilot Computer, it is a S3G AST.

Finally, in my previous submittal, I omitted a Seatalkhs High Speed Network Switch that connects the two E80 MFDs. The only other connections to the switch are the positive and negative power supply.

I have update and attached the inventory list.

Thank you.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Raymarine Inventory_2019.09.24.pdf (Size: 45 KB / Downloads: 245)
09-24-19, 12:51 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-19 12:51 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
R2Straebel,

Q1. Regarding the VHF, the power supply cord includes three (RCA?) plug-style connectors. The White and Black plugs are unused. The Red plug consists of two conductors, both connected to “NMEA OUT” on the ST60 Multi Instrument at the helm station. The white internal wire is connected to the Positive (+) and the clear-shielded copper internal wire to Negative (-).
A1. Great ... no change to method by which the VHF radio is receiving GPS data need occur.

Q2. Regarding the autopilot SmartPilot Computer, it is a S3G AST.
A2. Great. A SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter may be used to interface the autopilot, ST290 DPU, ST60 Multi, and wireless autopilot remote base station to the new MFDs. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. In systems featuring the autopilot equipment which you have listed, it would be considered to be a best practice to interface the autopilot control head(s) and wireless autopilot remote base station alone to one of the autopilot course computer's SeaTalk ports and then use the course computer's second SeaTalk port to connect the SeaTalk bus to which any other devices having a SeaTalk communications interface (in this case the ST290 DPU, ST60 Multi, and SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter). When connecting the SeaTalk bus to the ST290 DPU and to the autopilot course computer, the red SeaTalk terminal of these devices will not be connected to permit the SeaTalk bus to be powered by the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. I this case, the simple SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone may consist of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter alone to which Power, the Data Master MFD, and the aforementioned SeaTalk bus will be connected.

Q3. Finally, in my previous submittal, I omitted a Seatalkhs High Speed Network Switch that connects the two E80 MFDs. The only other connections to the switch are the positive and negative power supply.
A3. Great! That means that the existing SeaTalkhs Cables may be adapted to be mated to the Axiom MFDs via an A80160 RayNet (F) to SThs (F) Socket Adaptor Cable.
10-15-19, 09:21 AM
Thank you for your previous guidance. I am getting ready to place my order.

My S3G AST course computer/control head/remote, STLK1 ST60 and STLK2 290 instruments are processed through a DPU. The DPU is then connected to two (2) jumpered 5-plug STLK2 junction blocks. Transducer pods and RF ground are also connected to the STLK2 junction blocks. One of the jumpered STLK2 junction blocks is then connected to my “master” MFD with a 5-pin STLK2 cable (both ends).

Given that my STLK1 components are already running through the DPU into a STLK2 cable, do I need a STLK1 to STLKng converter in my STLKng backbone?

Thank you.
10-15-19, 03:34 PM
R2Straebel,

Q. Given that my STLK1 components are already running through the DPU into a STLK2 cable, do I need a STLK1 to STLKng converter in my STLKng backbone?
A. Yes. Because the SeaTalk2 backbone components were not supported for use within the same backbone are currently manufactured products, it would be recommended that a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter be used to bridge data between the ST290 DPU's SeaTalk port and the new equipment.
10-15-19, 03:52 PM
Thank you, but; I am confused on where the Convertor would connect to. The DPU's SeaTalk port is already occupied by incoming STLK1 wires that are the terminus of a daisy chain of STLK1 components previously described.

I could send a block diagram of the DPU if that would help. Thanks again.
10-15-19, 04:02 PM
R2Straebel,

A block diagram would be helpful.
10-15-19, 05:14 PM
Block diagram of DPU is attached. Thank you.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  ST290 DPU BLOCK DIAGRAM.pdf (Size: 130.56 KB / Downloads: 194)
10-17-19, 09:52 AM
R2Straebel,

Please note that the supplied diagram differs from Raymarine's recommendations regarding how an E-Series Classic MFD would have been recommended to to be interfaced to the ST290 system. The last recommendation on such recommended that the E-Series Classic MFD not be interfaced to the SeaTalk2 backbone and instead be interfaced to the SeaTalk bus to which other devices having a SeaTalk interface (ex. S3G, ST6001, etc. were interfaced. Please refer to the FAQ referenced within my earlier post addressing how to interface MFDs featuring a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface to legacy devices having a SeaTalk communications interface via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter(s). Like the S3G, the DPU features a powered SeaTalk communications interface. Accordingly, when connecting the SeaTalk bus to the DPU, the SeaTalk cable's red lead should not be connected to the DPU's red SeaTalk terminal per my earlier response.