Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Updating Sail Boat Navigation Equipment AXIOM 7
09-23-19, 01:10 AM (This post was last modified: 09-23-19 02:06 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Updating Sail Boat Navigation Equipment AXIOM 7
Hi, I currently have a 2005 Bavaria 46 cruiser with the following equipment:

Chart Plotter RayMarine RC70c
Echo Sounder RayMarine ST60
Wind Speed Indicator RayMarine ST60
Speed Log RayMarine ST60
Auto-Pilot RayMarine ST6001
Fixed VHF DSC Icom MC

I would like to replace the Chart plotter with an AXIOM 7, is this easily done or will I need to replace other equipment/adapters?

V B Rgds Andy.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-23-19, 02:10 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-19 11:07 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Updating Sail Boat Navigation Equipment AXIOM 7
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Andy,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing the subject of replacing a hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Display(s) with an Axiom MFD(s). Raymarine produced no displays having the name RC70C. I suspect that you may actually have a RL70CRC Radar/Chartplotter Display (this is actually a RL70C with a RayChart C-Card reader and personality software, also know has a hsb/hsb2 Pathfinder Series Radar/Chartplotter Display). Has the display been interfaced to a radome, and if so, are you seeking radar capabilities in the Axiom MFD. Finally, you have identified the model of autopilot control head which has been installed onboard. What model of Raymarine autopilot course computer has it been interfaced to?
09-25-19, 07:15 AM (This post was last modified: 09-25-19 09:59 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck and thanks for the swift reply. You are correct it is an RL70C and it does connect to a Raymarine radar, but I'm unsure which model, however it comes up with a no rotation message after power up. I would like to look at having radar capabilities.
I have a Smartpilot Series auto pilot fitted again unsure which model, how can i tell?
09-25-19, 10:07 AM (This post was last modified: 09-27-19 11:08 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Andy,

Q1. I would like to look at having radar capabilities.
A1. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. I would typically recommend a Quantum 2 Radome for applications such as yours.

Q2. I have a Smartpilot Series auto pilot fitted again unsure which model, how can i tell?
A2. The autopilot course computers will typically be installed on a vertical bulkhead and will featuring a label and/or printing on the bulkhead side and outboard facing side of the product identifying the model. An example may be found below:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3616]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

09-26-19, 07:51 AM (This post was last modified: 09-26-19 07:57 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck, thanks for the Quantum 2 recommendation.

My Smartpilot is a series 3.
09-26-19, 07:58 AM (This post was last modified: 09-26-19 07:58 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Andy,

Q. My Smartpilot is a series 3.
A. That product name isn't ringing any bells. Would it be possible for you to add a photo of the autopilot course computer to this thread?
09-26-19, 10:30 AM (This post was last modified: 09-26-19 10:31 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck does S3 work?
09-26-19, 10:43 AM
Andy,

As with the ST60 instruments, a S3 autopilot course computer may be adapted for use with an Axiom MFD. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As with your current system featuring a hsb/hsb2 Pathfinder Series Radar/Chartplotter Display, the autopilot's control head would need to continue to be used to command the autopilot into and out of Standby, Auto, and Track mode.