Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[LW] [LW11] autorouting too close to the coast
09-24-19, 04:25 AM (This post was last modified: 09-25-19 01:52 AM by Louise - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[LW11] autorouting too close to the coast
I have a Raymarine axiom 9 with 3.10.42 system, and navionics 43XG-N+.

When I create an route by the autorouting function, happens that the route is too far to the coast, often under the security distance.

To modify this route is not easy, as in many cases the curves have a lot of waypoints, close each other.

It should be possible on the next release to add as parameter for autorouting the "minimum distance from the coast ?

Of course this should be automatically ignored at the starting and arrival point.
Find all posts by this user
09-25-19, 06:42 AM
RE: [LW11] autorouting too close to the coast
Dear Sgucci99,

Thank you for your post.

The auto-routing function calculates this information with the parameters of vessel draft, air draft and beam data that is entered by the user when setting up the Axiom. It is the Navionics charting card that then goes on to create the route.

Do contact Navionics at info@navionics.com with any questions you have regarding this. In the meantime do send us some screenshots in of your concerns about the route looking unsafe.

Many Thanks
Louise
09-29-19, 05:39 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-19 11:04 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
here below some screenshot where you can see the distance from the coast less than 300m.
the last screenshot show how confusing is the view when the names of the waypoints are displayed. (suggestion : copy the sw of the old geonav sunshine 6 where all these problems are fixed.)

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

10-01-19, 09:09 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-19 11:04 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
here the attachments

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

10-03-19, 10:57 AM
Dear Sgucci99,

Thank you for the post.

I can put forward your input regarding the waypoint names.

With reference to the auto-routing, the values the system uses to calculate the route on are your safe depth and beam. This route has been calculated on this basis and does not take in to consideration the distance from the land, only that you are safe to pass through. 250m is still quite a distance from the shoreline.

It maybe worth increasing your depth and beam safe clearance values to reduce this happening.

Many Thanks
Louise
10-03-19, 12:09 PM
Dear Louise,

If you look at my screenshot, you can see that in this case the distance from the coast is less than 100m.

I already riyed to increase the depth, hoping this could make some difference, indeed in this case I put 4m of depth, (I have 1m) but nothing happened.

Please consider that where I navigate, the minimum safe distance is 300m.

I send the same issue to Navionics and I'm waiting for a response.

In the meantime why not consider in the next sw release to consider this distance too?

For security safe I only navigate following a route with the autopilot, so I use the routes and waypoint creation a lot.

My previous GPS, which is now discontinued, was a Geonav 6 and it didn't have all these problems highlighted in this and other my threads.

So my suggestion to improve, is to have a look at this old gps sw, in order to take inspiration from it.

many thanks for your reply.
10-04-19, 10:53 AM
Dear Sgucci99,

Thank you for your post.

The auto-routing function is part of the Navionics software and we cannot manipulate the distance it calculate the route from the coast. It is worth waiting to see what suggestions Navionics have.

Many Thanks
Louise
10-06-19, 11:54 PM
Big Grin RE: [LW11] autorouting too close to the coast
At least your MFD IS in fact autorouting… My Axiom thinks it is installed in an aeroplane and wants to take me over land. I have read the three unhelpful threads but cannot post a new one so have resorted to comment here. I bet the new software will not help. Why did I buy another RAYMARINE MFD when the last one only lasted 160 hours! (A78wifi)…

The AXIOM has an annoying hard plastic cover which scratches to pieces first time you lay it on the dash/console of the boat. The micro SD card is in a stupid place... 4 hours use and I know this 'upgraded' MFD is a dud.

Darren
10-08-19, 05:00 AM
Dear dmac68,

Thank you for your post.

Can you please provide further details address to myself at support.uk@raymarine.com

Can you send a screenshot of the area that the autorouting is not functioning. Is it always the same area?

The software revision of your Axiom?

Is your Navionics subscription active?

I look forward to your response.

Many Thanks
Louise
Thread Closed