Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[CA] [CA11] I50 and I60 compatible with my present hardware?
09-25-19, 11:32 AM (This post was last modified: 09-25-19 01:39 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] I50 and I60 compatible with my present hardware?
Hello,

I need to change my speed and depth meter.

Right now I have from Raymarine The E7 plotter, EV-100 autopilot tiller version (with ACU-100) and the control panel P70

Unfortunately I do not have enough space behind the instrument for being able to mount an I70, but according to the specifications, the I50 and I60 need less space, so I can place them.

The I50 and I60 are fully compatible with my existing Raymarine hardware and the SeaTalkng network?

I know there is a tacking feature on the P70 autopilot, but this only works with information from a windsensor / wind data, so I hope this will work in conjuction with the I60?

Thanks for any information.

Udo
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-25-19, 01:43 PM
RE: [CA11] I50 and I60 compatible with my present hardware?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Udo,

Q1. The I50 and I60 are fully compatible with my existing Raymarine hardware and the SeaTalkng network?
A1. Correct. It is recommended that these instruments be interfaced as individual spurs to the NMEA 2000 backbone to which the MFD and autopilot components have been interfaced. These instruments may also be daisy chained to create a spur linking up to three devices. The maximum total length of spur cable used within the daisy chain should not exceed 6m.

Q2. I know there is a tacking feature on the P70 autopilot, but this only works with information from a windsensor / wind data, so I hope this will work in conjuction with the I60?
A2. Interfacing an i60 Wind instrument to the system will indeed support use of the autopilot's wind dependent features.
09-26-19, 01:04 AM (This post was last modified: 09-26-19 08:00 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
NMEA 2000 backbone that is not the SeaTalkng backbone not work, right?
According to the E7 MDF manual it is not and therefore it does not make sense to connect them to a NMEA 2000 backbone since I mentioned I use the SeaTalkng backbone.

and: You cannot have 2 backbones connected together.

But I can connect NMEA 2000 devices to my SeaTalkng backbone on a spur.

But it seems that the I50 and I60 are also Sea Talkng devices which can be directly connected using Seatalkng cables to connect to the SeaTalk backbone right?

If I want the transducers to connect to my existing SeaTalkng backbone, according to the manual from my E7, I need an ITC-5 connector. (see manual E7 page 41 for a typical SeaTalkng system)

Is that the only way to connect them to my system?

I like to be more specific with my questions.

Right now my existing equipment on board is:

Raymarine E7 MDF Plotter,
Raymarine Autopilot EV-100,
Raymarine ACU-100
and control panel Raymarine P70

all connected on SeaTalkng backbone (not the NMEA 2000)

according to the manuals from Raymarine I can not have both NMEA 2000 and SeaTalkng at the same time, so than we stay with SeaTalkng right?

because the I60 and I50 plug directly into the SeaTalkng network?

The package (here in Sweden) is supplied with:
DT800-12 Plastic Transducer for Depth, speed, temperature
No need for an ST70 transducer pod or ITC-5.
direct connect to SeaTalkng backbone

So this data becomes available to all my devices on the SeaTalkng backbone?

But on the website from Raymarine I also find:
Compatible Models
ST70 & i70

Not the I50 and I60? I do not understand! Why is this sensor supplied in this package?

The I50/I60 packages also includes:
P319 200KHZ Transducer (ANALOG)
This one fits on the back of the I50?
or use a pod or ITC-5 converter connect to the SeaTalkng backbone?

But when it is plugged in to the back of the I50, will this data be available for the other devices on the SeaTalkng network?

The supplied windsensor (E22078 - VINDGIVARE MED 30M KABEL) plugs in directly into the back of the I60?

When the windsensor is plugged in on the back of the I60, will this data be available on my SeaTalkng nertwork, for example my EV-100 autopilot?

I70 system package wind, speed, depth

I70 connect only to the SeaTalkng backbone?
and for the sensors being able to communicate with the I70 we need to connect the sensors to the SeaTalkng backbone using ITC-5 converter, right?

Many thanks in advance for any information.

It is important for me be able to choose which fits the mest my existing equipment.
The I70 might be the best choice (I know already, it's a newer display), but the I50 and I60 need less space at the back of the units, which is better for me.
09-26-19, 09:47 AM (This post was last modified: 09-26-19 02:17 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
udo,

Q1. NMEA 2000 backbone that is not the SeaTalkng backbone not work, right?
A1. Incorrect. SeaTalkng is an extension of the NMEA 2000 communications messaging protocol. They are not mutually exclusive and these messaging protocols may essentially be considered to be the same. Like other marine electronics manufacturers, Raymarine produces its own NMEA 2000 Networking components and these components feature Raymarine's time proven SeaTalkng plugs and sockets. As many marine electronics manufacturers and manufacturers of NMEA 2000 networking component have chosen to utilize DeviceNet plugs and sockets within their networking components, Raymarine offers spur adapters and spur adapter cables to support interfacing devices featuring DeviceNet plugs or sockets to a NMEA 2000 backbone which has been constructed from SeaTalkng networking components. As specified within the FAQ found here, it is considered to be a best installation practice that a backbone be constructed from the networking components of a single manufacturer to ensure maximum performance and reliability of a system. As indicated within this same FAQ, third party field installable DeviceNet connectors are available to permit a backbone which has been constructed from SeaTalkng networking components to be joined to a backbone which has been constructed from third party NMEA 2000 networking components. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how additional spur sockets may be added to a NMEA 2000 network which has been constructed from SeaTalkng networking components. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing best SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 installation practices for binnacle mounted Raymarine electronics.

Q2. According to the E7 MDF manual it is not and therefore it does not make sense to connect them to a NMEA 2000 backbone since I mentioned I use the SeaTalkng backbone.
A2. This is an incorrect statement. See the response to Q1.

Q3. and: You cannot have 2 backbones connected together.
A3. This is an incorrect statement. See the response to Q1.

Q4. But I can connect NMEA 2000 devices to my SeaTalkng backbone on a spur.
A4. This is a correct statement

Q5. But it seems that the I50 and I60 are also Sea Talkng devices which can be directly connected using Seatalkng cables to connect to the SeaTalk backbone right?
A5. This is a correct statement.

Q6. If I want the transducers to connect to my existing SeaTalkng backbone, according to the manual from my E7, I need an ITC-5 connector. (see manual E7 page 41 for a typical SeaTalkng system). Is that the only way to connect them to my system?
A6. Compatible Smart NMEA 2000 transducers (ex. DT800, DST800, P79S, etc.), like other NMEA 2000 devices are designed to be interfaced to a spur socket within a backbone. Compatible analog transducers must be interfaced directly to the instrument (ex. i50, i60, i40, etc.) or to an iTC-5 Analog Instrument Converter. If Smart transducers or an iTC-5 is installed, then an i70S or i70(legacy) MFID must be installed. Please note that Raymarine offers the A06081 SeaTalkng Right Angle Spur
- STng Straight Plug (1m), which can effectively reduce the mounting depth normally associated with a straight SeaTalkng Spur Cable.

Q7. According to the manuals from Raymarine I can not have both NMEA 2000 and SeaTalkng at the same time, so than we stay with SeaTalkng right?
A7. That is an incorrect statement. Please see the response to Q1.

Q8. because the I60 and I50 plug directly into the SeaTalkng network?
A8. Please refer to my initial response regarding how these instruments may be interfaced to the system. Within a system featuring a NMEA 2000 network which has been constructed from SeaTalkng networking components, it would be recommended that these instruments each be interfaced to the backbone via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable.

Q9. The package (here in Sweden) is supplied with:
DT800-12 Plastic Transducer for Depth, speed, temperature
No need for an ST70 transducer pod or ITC-5.
direct connect to SeaTalkng backbone
A9. I assume that you are referring to the E70153 i50 / i60 Depth, Speed and Wind Systems Pack. If so, while the instruments will be interfaced to the system as specified within the response to Q8, the transducers will need to be directly connected to the transducer terminals of the i50 and i60 instruments ... unless an iTC-5 and an i70S MFID will additionally be installed.

Q10. So this data becomes available to all my devices on the SeaTalkng backbone?
A10. If interfaced to the current system in the manner which I have specified, then depth, speed, and wind data will indeed be available throughout the system.

Q11. But on the website from Raymarine I also find:
Compatible Models
ST70 & i70

Not the I50 and I60? I do not understand! Why is this sensor supplied in this package?
A11. Raymarine offers both analog and Smart versions of the DT800 and DST800. The analog versions of these transducers are included within the E70153 i50 / i60 Depth, Speed and Wind Systems Pack.

Q12.
The I50/I60 packages also includes:
P319 200KHZ Transducer (ANALOG)
This one fits on the back of the I50?
or use a pod or ITC-5 converter connect to the SeaTalkng backbone?
A12. Correct. However, if interfaced to an iTC-5, then an i70S MFID must be added to the system.

Q13. But when it is plugged in to the back of the I50, will this data be available for the other devices on the SeaTalkng network?
A13. Yes.

Q14. The supplied windsensor (E22078 - VINDGIVARE MED 30M KABEL) plugs in directly into the back of the I60?
A14. Correct.

Q15. When the windsensor is plugged in on the back of the I60, will this data be available on my SeaTalkng nertwork, for example my EV-100 autopilot?
A15. Yes.

Q16a. I70 system package wind, speed, depth: I70 connect only to the SeaTalkng backbone?
Q16a. Correct

Q16b. and for the sensors being able to communicate with the I70 we need to connect the sensors to the SeaTalkng backbone using ITC-5 converter, right?
A16b. Correct.
09-26-19, 11:39 AM (This post was last modified: 09-26-19 02:18 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
You mentioned the existence of: A06081 SeaTalkng Right Angle Adapter

This actually allows me to choose also the I70.

The transducers (wind, speed, depth) must to be connected to the SeaTalkng backbone via the ITC-5 converter, since they can not plug in to the back of the I70, right?

So I only need 1 SeaTalkng cable from my SeaTalkng backbone to the I70 and nothing else, right?

In case I want to add the I60, I get a small SeaTalk cable from the I70 to the I60, right?

The I60 will get the wind data from the SeaTalkng backbone, right?

Thanks in advance for more info,
09-26-19, 01:04 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-19 02:44 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
udo,

Q1. The transducers (wind, speed, depth) must to be connected to the SeaTalkng backbone via the ITC-5 converter, since they can not plug in to the back of the I70, right?
A1. The i70S MFDs have no provision to directly connect transducers to them. Should analog transducers be installed such as those listed below be installed, then the answer to your question would be yes.
- M78713-PZ P319 Low Profile Through Hull Plastic Depth Transducer 14m Cable
- E26031 ST800/P120 Speed/Temperature Low Profile Retractable Through Hull Transducer - 13.7m Cable

Alternatively, Smart transducers may be connected to spur sockets within the backbone. However, as we have received recent reports of reduced levels of depth performance from those using the Smart DST800 and Smart DT800. Over the years, we have also received a fair amount of anecdotal reports that the depth performance of the analog DST800 as good as that of the transducers listed above. At this time and for those seeking best performane in depth, speed, and temperature in a low profile housing, it would be recommended that an iTC-5 and that the transducers specified above be installed if an i70S MFID will be installed.

Q2. So I only need 1 SeaTalkng cable from my SeaTalkng backbone to the I70 and nothing else, right?
A2. Correct. However, as suggested, the i70 MFID is no longer being produced and was replaced by the i70S a couple of years ago. These MFIDs are designed to use the same software, but the i70S features a single SeaTalkng socket to comply with the NMEA 2000 standard which does not support daisy chaining of NMEA 2000 devices.

Q3. In case I want to add the I60, I get a small SeaTalk cable from the I70 to the I60, right?
A3. Not quite. As indicated in the response to Q2, the i70S MFID features a single SeaTalkng socket. As such, it would either have to be connected directly to the spur socket within the SeaTalkng backbone or at the end of spur daisy chain (i.e. one of the i60's spur socket would be connected to a spur socket in the backbone and the i60's other spur socket would be connected to the i70S MFID. While the latter is technically possible, it is considered to be a best installation practice to not daisy chain these devices. Please refer to the FAQ which I previously referenced regarding best SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 installation practices for binnacle mounted Raymarine electronics.
09-26-19, 01:37 PM (This post was last modified: 09-26-19 02:15 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
One more little thing:

When I look at the specification from the I60 and I70, then I see on the drawing that the cable on the I60 needs 25mm and on the I70 90mm, whilst both are spur SeaTalkng cables. Can you explain?

and if I would use the A06081 Raymarine SeaTalk NG Spur Right Angle Adapter:, how much space is needed in that case?

I need to know, because I have limited space behing my existing devices, which I intend to replace.
09-26-19, 02:23 PM
udo,

I can't account for the difference specified other than to suggest that one of them may have been specified with a Right Angle SeaTalkng Spur Cable. The mounting depth of both the i60 Wind and i70 (measured from the flange to the top of the SeaTalkng spur socket locking ring) is approximately 32mm. For the i70S, this measurement is slightly smaller at approximately 30mm. The A06081 SeaTalkng Right Angle Spur
- STng Straight Plug (1m) adds approximately 22mm to the above listed mounting depths as would the A06042 / 15.7in (0.4mm) SeaTalkng Right Angle Spur
- SeaTalkng Right Angle Spur. The latter may be used to daisy chain the i70S MFID to the i60 instrument should you elect to daisy chain these devices together.
09-27-19, 12:21 AM (This post was last modified: 09-27-19 12:35 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
You wrote:

The mounting depth of both the i60 Wind and i70 (measured from the flange to the top of the SeaTalkng spur socket locking ring) is approximately 32mm.

It is still not clear: How much adds the A06081 Raymarine SeaTalk NG Spur Right Angle Adapter to the above?
09-27-19, 12:39 PM
Udo,

As indicated, the mounting depth of both the i60 Wind and i70 is approximately 32mm before installing one of the right angle cables specified previously. Installing either of the specified Right Angle Spur Cables will add approximately 22mm to the mount depth for a total mounting depth of approximately 54mm.