Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] AutoPilot compatibility with steering systems
09-26-19, 07:17 AM (This post was last modified: 09-26-19 09:51 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] AutoPilot compatibility with steering systems
I currently have a Ray ST600 series autopilot system connected to a Octopus mechanical steering systems connected to I/Os. I upgraded to the Axiom this year and now the ST600 is not compatible with the Axiom. I was told I need to update to the Evolution series.

Your forum indicates: When seeking an autopilot for a vessel with hydraulic steering (not to be confused with cable driven / power assisted steering common to I/O powered vessels)...

Is there an evolution model that can connect to my mechanical steering system using the Octopus? If not, can you make a recommendation?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-26-19, 10:05 AM
RE: [CA11] AutoPilot compatibility with steering systems
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Lrpopp,

While it may not be possible to use an Axiom MFD's Autopilot Controls feature (i.e. use the MFD to directly command the autopilot into and out of Standby, Auto, and Track modes), there is a very good chance that the currently installed autopilot may be adapted for use with the Axiom MFD. In the absence of the Autopilot Controls feature, you would simply need to use the autopilot's control head to command the autopilot into and out of Standby, Auto, and Track modes. ST6xxx is an autopilot control head which was designed for use with several models of autopilot course computers. If your autopilot is operational, then please specify the model of autopilot course computer which is presently installed onboard the vessel.

In lieu of the latter request, please specify the model of Octopus drive (ex. Type R Mechanical Remote Drive, etc.) which has been installed onboard the vessel. In the case of vessels suited for use with Octopus Type R Mechanical Remote Drives, a T70156 EV-200 Power Autopilot Core Pack would be recommended.
10-10-19, 06:52 AM (This post was last modified: 10-10-19 07:52 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
The equipment consists of: ST6000 display, ST6002 SmartPilot Controller and a Pathfinder Smart Heading System, Gyro Plus 2. The system is fully operational. I am very interested to understanding if and how to operate this with the Axiom in a simi-automated mode having the Autopilot track to the Axioms plotted course and controlling the ST6000 to achieve this VS upgrading to the Evolution series.
10-10-19, 08:01 AM
Lrpoop,

The ST6000 and ST6002 are autopilot control heads, not autopilot course computer. Please locate, determine (if uncertain take a photograph of the course computer), and respond with the model of autopilot course computer which has been interfaced to these autopilot control heads. With this knowledge, it may then be possible to specify how the autopilot should be interfaced to an Axiom MFD.

Once correctly interfaced to an autopilot, the MFD's Chart application would be commanded to Go To a Waypoint / Cursor Position or to Follow a Route which you have created within the MFD's Chart application. This will automatically cause the associated navigational data to be transmitted to the autopilot. With the specified autopilot control heads, Track mode would then by steering the vessel in the direction of the first waypoint to be navigated to place the vessel icon on the black dashed course line, pressing AUTO, pressing TRACK, and then pressing TRACK again to acknowledge the course to be steered.