Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Autopilot power steering
09-23-19, 03:46 AM (This post was last modified: 09-23-19 01:30 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Autopilot power steering
I have the EV1 autopilot package with AU200 and P70s control.

On my old Ctrek autopilot I could use the controller/remote to manually move the rudder. i.e press the left arrow and the rudder would move to port, press the right arrow and the rudder would move to starboard.

When the autopilot was actively engaged, there was also an avoidance mode that once pressed the autopilot would come 10 degrees off course, then come back course.

Is any of this possible on the EV1 system?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-23-19, 01:39 PM
RE: [CA11] Autopilot power steering
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Mike,

Q1. On my old Ctrek autopilot I could use the controller/remote to manually move the rudder. i.e press the left arrow and the rudder would move to port, press the right arrow and the rudder would move to starboard.
A1. The feature which you have inquired about is known as Power Steering Mode and would be used in conjunction with a p70RS or p70R autopilot control head rather then a p70S or p70 autopilot control head.

Q2. When the autopilot was actively engaged, there was also an avoidance mode that once pressed the autopilot would come 10 degrees off course, then come back course.
A2. The described feature is partially supported with the p70S and p70 autopilot control heads. When the +10 or -10 button is pressed when in Auto or Track mode, the autopilot's heading will change 10 degrees starboard or 10 degrees to port and the autopilot's mode will change to Auto if it had been previously in Track mode. Pressing the opposite +10 or -10 button will return the vessel to its original heading. If previously in Track mode, then selecting the Track function key again will cause the vessel to rejoin the course line.
09-28-19, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-19 11:06 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
My mistake, it is the P70RS that I have. I have found the power steering option in the menu. There is an option to choose to between proportional and big bang. I don't know what each one means.

Either way, how is power steering mode activated? My expectation is when the unit is in standby, I should be able to push and hold a button to move the rudder. This doesn't happen.
10-01-19, 12:14 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-19 12:17 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Mike,

The proportional / bang bang option is applicable only to autopilots featuring Raymarine's joystick controller. It is not applicable to those using the p70, p70R, p70S, and p70RS autopilot control heads. When in power steering mode, should the autopilot be interfaced to a p70RS or p70R autopilot control head, then the rotary knob will act in a manner similar to the vessel's steering wheel to turn the vessel proportionally to the right and left. The system must be interfaced to a source of GPS data or speed through water and the vessel must be moving to utilize this feature.