Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Smart Pilot
09-26-19, 10:50 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-19 03:19 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Smart Pilot
Hi

I have a one year old networked system including Axion display and evolution autopilot. My wireless smart pilot (older unit) was connected and worked fine for the first year. However, it stopped working a few weeks ago. The hand held unit shows good battery strength but the signal indicator only shows only one bar (previously it had 5 bars). Also I have a new D10 base that wasn’t used for the installation (in case it could be used to replace the RF base.

Any advice on how to resolve this would be much appreciated.

thank you,
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-27-19, 03:28 PM
RE: [CA11] Smart Pilot
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum tholley55,

The reported symptom may be indicative of a problem with the hardware (the handheld wireless remote or its base station) or possibly interference from some other device onboard. Eliminating the latter as a possibility may be achieved by switching all of the vessel's other systems off (including chargers, inverters, etc.) and then testing the wireless autopilot remote control's reported signal strength. Should the symptom persist and should the remote control have previously reported good signal levels, then it would be recommended that both the base station and remote be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
11-05-19, 08:24 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-19 09:45 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hello Chuck, I have some new information on this problem. I've done reset plus deregistration/registration of the base station. Also determined the handheld is running version 2.00 software, and indicates good signal strength. However, I took my prior AP head and plugged it into the same Seatalk socket and it indicated "Seatalk Failure". Plugged in a Multiview as well, which indicated "no data". This suggests that there is the problem is not with the handheld or base station but rather the Seatalk connection. Perhaps it's not receiving data. Attached is a photo showing how it is connected. In view of this, can you please advise what are the recommended next steps to resolve this issue.

much appreciated, Tim Holley
11-07-19, 09:48 AM
tholley55,

Within systems featuring a SPX autopilot, it would typically be recommended that the base station and any autopilot control heads having a SeaTalk communications interface be connected directly to the SPX autopilot's SeaTalk (not SeaTalkng) communications interface.