Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Continuing problems with Axiom Fuel Manager
10-10-19, 09:06 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-19 08:07 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Continuing problems with Axiom Fuel Manager
Here is the first of the logs. Saving the logs is not documented and required some trial and error. When you get to the NMEA log screen, you must touch the save to button which defaults to "SD1". This produces a pop up giving the choice of "External SD" or "External USB". Selecting one dismisses the pop up, but does not change the label on the button which now STILL says "SD1". This is a bug - should change the label to External USB. Once that is done press "Start Recording" and it will record to the USB if that is what you selected, despite what the button says. Press "Stop Recording" seems to terminate the file, though this is not confirmed as it is elsewhere in the user interface. To be consistent, it ought to say "saved to USB" or something.

I powered up the instruments and MFD first, and then screen shot the fuel manager. Note that the day has rolled and the day's totals are zero, though many of the other figures are bogus. I started the log, then turned on the key, waited for the J1939 stream to populate the Raymarine displays, then started the engine. This is my normal procedure. After a minute I stopped the log and took the second screen shot. Notice that in the second screen shot, the fuel used for the season has been copied into the days use, and also added to the trip total. When I repeated all of this, the fuel manager display looked like the second picture prior to key activation, and did not change after engine start.

I also noticed while looking at the NMEA stream that with key on but engine not started a new device appears, presumably the Smartcraft interface. But shortly after starting the engine several other things appear as well. I have also attached a NMEA device file for just Raymarine active, then key on, then after engine start.

I will be running the boat over to Canada early next week and will get the running under load captures then.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

.log  nmea2000_20191011_00.log (Size: 1.46 MB / Downloads: 173)
.json  NoEngine.json (Size: 4.44 KB / Downloads: 170)
.json  KeyOn.json (Size: 4.44 KB / Downloads: 161)
.json  EngineRunning.json (Size: 4.44 KB / Downloads: 163)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-19, 03:46 AM
I am also having lots of issues with the Axiom Fuel management. At random times when I turn on the ignition switch of one or both outboards, the fuel manager adds random amounts of fuel to the total used and takes the same amount off the amount remaining. Some times could be small amounts like 20L or even a couple of hundred Litres at a time. Did a trip on the weekend where I traveled about 70NM and at the end the Fuel Manager said I had used over 2500 Litres. This is also duplicated in the Yamaha App. All running through the Yamaha Gateway 6YG8A2000000 specified by Raymarine.
10-11-19, 08:04 AM (This post was last modified: 10-11-19 08:27 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
jfitch,

Thanks for the supporting data and any future data which you may be providing in support of this investigation. This information has been copied into the corresponding problem tracking entry in support of the investigation.

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum laraby,

Thanks for the additional input. Was this problem observed with a MFD running LightHouse 3 v3.10.71 or later software? If so, then the key to permitting Raymarine to solve this issue will be to supply from such systems, as it was not observed in Raymarine's test systems. We welcome your assistance in collecting data in support of solving this issue. Please respond the following:
- the system's Ethernet and SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 device data (HOME->SET-UP->NETWORK->DIAGNOSTICS->PRODUCT INFO->SAVE DATA)
- NMEA 2000 log (OME->SET-UP->NETWORK->DIAGNOSTICS->NMEA DEVICES & MESSAGES->NMEA MESSAGES->RECORD->START RECORDING / STOP RECORDING) recorded while the vessel is underway and making way (30 seconds)
- NMEA 2000 log created when starting the vessels engines (15 seconds ... 5 seconds before, 10 seconds after engines have started.
IP Address: logged
10-11-19, 12:21 PM
Perhaps another clue. I tried it again this morning (have to wait for a new day so that the day resets). On powering up the Axiom and immediately going to the fuel/trip manager, it showed 517 gallons used for the day (same figure as for season), even though the engine had not yet been switched on. Waiting for about two minutes, this reset itself to zero as I watched. I then switched on the key, waited, no change. Then started the engine, no change. It did not add the 517 gallons to the trip or month - in other words, worked correctly. Powering the Axiom down and back up again, the day said 0 gallons, so it requires a fresh day rollover to see the error.

I've not paid attention in the past to the delay between turning on the Axiom and powering up the engine. A theory might be that it takes awhile for the Axiom to receive and internalize the date from the external GPS source, in the mean time is confused about day and season, and if it begins receiving engine data in that interval does the wrong thing. This might also explain why it appears erratic - would depend on how quickly I start the engine.

Tomorrow I will try powering up the Axiom, see if it says 517 gallons for the day, and immediately start the engine before that has corrected itself. Another thing I may try is to disable the external GPS source and select the internal Axiom source, to see if that makes any difference - the Axiom may know what to expect from its internal GPS.

I will note that well prior to the fuel correcting itself (before the Axiom was even switched on), the Vesper GPS had a good position, time, and date as reported on the i70s (NMEA 2K) and ICOM radio (NMEA 0183).
10-11-19, 01:05 PM
Jon,

Thanks for the additional observations. I will add them to the comments within the corresponding problem report.
10-15-19, 10:11 PM (This post was last modified: 10-16-19 12:25 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Attached is the second NMEA log capture, underway and under load.

I tried to repeat the power up sequence to see if I got the same error mentioned in the prior post, but haven't seen it, so I'm not sure what that was.

Attached File(s)
.log  nmea2000_20191015_16.log (Size: 759.63 KB / Downloads: 166)
10-16-19, 12:25 PM
Jon,

Thanks for the requested log file.
10-28-19, 05:35 PM
I think the Fuel manager problem is GPS related (loss of speed or time?).
I had one "loss of AIS data alarm" and looked at the Satellite data and it had lost data but acquired it almost straight away. All the satellites were orange but quickly winked to green.
The sky was clear and I was moving at less than 2 knots.
I do not believe it is loss of signal as all the satellites from all the directions were in view and it quickly moved to the most optimum for best HDOP. (usually sits at 0.7 or better). On land I usually have at least 15 satellites in view (green) and on water a few more.
I am using the internal GPS in the axiom pro 16.
The GPS does not alarm at loss of lock, only the AIS (Ray73) alarms.
10-29-19, 07:59 AM
Bernie,

Thanks for the additional information. The MFDs have a longer timeout than do other devices when it comes to NO FIX alarms. Should the MFD be installed in a location which does not afford it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead and MFD's position FIX is intermittent (except in cases of passing beneath low structures (ex. bridge, boat house, etc.), then an external GPS sensor (ex. Raystar 150 GPS Sensor, etc.) or GA150 Passive GPS Antenna should be considered for use with the system. Within systems featuring more than one source of GPS data, it is recommended that one use the Data Sources feature to manually select (rather than auto selection) which source will be used for GPS, Date & Time, and Datum. The latter may eliminate such GPS FIX loss within such systems.
10-29-19, 07:36 PM (This post was last modified: 10-30-19 08:55 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck
Thanks for the quick reply. I should have an unobstructed view to the sky. The way it loses lock (ie all the satellites disappear from the graphic), I suspect its not the receiver itself. If I had a poor view I don't think I would have so many satellites in view and in all directions and I would see any "fringe" satellite winking from green to orange.
I have a E125 on another boat that I will attempt to jury rig to see if it improves the situation, before I get another GPS.
Just on that, the GA150 I think is only an antenna and is not compatible with Axiom-Pro