Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] LH 3 Navionics Plotter Sync
10-05-19, 08:02 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-19 01:03 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] LH 3 Navionics Plotter Sync
I have an eS127 running LH 3. I also use Navionics US and Canada. I have a corresponding Navionics app on my IPad. When I attempt a plotter sync to move routes from the IPad to the chart plotter, I get a Navionics card not found error message on the app.

1) all software is up to date.
2) I spoke with Navionics and they state that there is a known issue with Raymarine products. They did not state what created the issue.
3) They told me to export the charts to a card on a PC and import via the card.
4) I searched the forum using just Navionics, then searched using Navionics Lighthouse 3 eS and could only find one unrelated post.

My question is: Is there a known issue with LH 3 accepting updates over the Raymarine network when used with an eS127? Is it possibly related to the inability to update Raymarine software with an internet connection?

Thanks for your help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-19, 01:26 PM
RE: [CA11] LH 3 Navionics Plotter Sync
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum nharrison5,

Please note that of the MFDs capable of operating with LightHouse 3 software, only Axiom, Axiom Pro, and Axiom XL MFDs will support WiFi related features. We are not aware of any issues with the Navionics Plotter Synch feature in conjunction with MFDs running LightHouse 3 v3.10.71 ... please verify that this version of software as been installed in your eS-Series MFD. What is the expiration date of the Navionics cartography subscription for your Navionics chart card (HOME->CHART->MENU->SETTINGS->CARTOGRAPHY)?
10-12-19, 10:48 PM (This post was last modified: 10-14-19 07:50 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck. After further conversation, I confirmed the following.

1) I updated the eS127 MFD to the September 27, 2019 release, then confirmed that it updated properly, and is the version the MFD is operating with.
2) My Navionics card expires 08-02-2020 and is the US-Canada version. I confirmed that on the MFD.
3) my Navionics app on the IPad is the October 4th, 2019 release which Navionics asked me to ensure was on my IPad and my IPhone.
4) I have attached a copy of the error message that I was having on my IPad when I attempted to sync routes.
5) I tried updating using the Navionics card in one slot with nothing on the other. I then switched the Navionics card to the other slot. Neither worked.
6) I attempted to sync with the Navionics card in one slot and a 16gb card I have used before in the other slot.
7) I switched the cards and tried again.

Prior to trying the above and after updating to the LH 3 September 27 version, I shut the chart plotter and IPad down. I then rebooted both. I also tried the update with my IPhone. None of the above worked and I am still getting the same error message which is attached below.

I did import the routes using gpx files that I manually downloaded to a card, and they are now on my plotter. However, I am limited now to the manual process until this issue between the two softwares is resolved. I will also communicate this info to Navionics.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

10-18-19, 11:18 AM
After further discussion, we were able to determine the solution to the “card not found” issue.

First, I updated the LH 3 software to the latest version.

Second, I updated the Navionics card on a Windows PC.

Third, use of encryption software on an IPhone or IPad results in the “card nor found” message. The purpose of that software is to encrypt output from a tablet or a phone whenever a “new” network is joined. It was necessary to direct the encryption app to “trust” the Raymarine network.

This results in the “handshake” between the Navionics app and the Raymarine eS127 running LH 3 to complete successfully. After trusting the network, the app updated the routes to the eS127 successfully.
10-18-19, 11:56 AM
Nate,

I am so glad that you identified the cause of the problem. Thanks for sharing.
10-18-19, 01:44 PM (This post was last modified: 10-18-19 02:48 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Certainly would never have figured it out without your help! Thank you.
10-18-19, 02:49 PM (This post was last modified: 10-18-19 02:49 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Nate,

You're welcome. It was good to have you as a knowledgeable partner in troubleshooting this problem
05-02-20, 06:52 PM
Ok, I’m having this same issue on my Axiom and iPad. To my knowledge I am not using any encryption software. Is that something buried in iOS? If so, where is it and how to I configure it to accept the RM network? I don’t understand what you’re saying made it work. But I don’t understand what you actually did to make it work?

-Steve

2003 Sea Ray 400DB
05-07-20, 03:45 PM
Hi Steve,

Are saying you are not able to get the Navionics plotter sync to work with the Axiom?
Will the ipad connect to the Axioms wifi?

Chris,
05-08-20, 11:46 AM
I did get this figured out. For some reason, the VPN functionality on my iPAD was trying to kick on. I think because I was on a "new" WiFi Network (the Axiom Wifi). Since it was an unknown network, it tried to activate a VPN. I don't think the Axiom was able to handle that (why would it, right?) and so the app and the Axiom couldn't talk. Once I turned off the VPN, everything sync'ed up well. This is a fantastic feature and once I can't believe took so long to get implemented in chart plotters. No one wants to sit at the helm and draw up routes. They want to do it at home, in the living room, or enjoying a cold one on the swim platform, dock or cockpit.

One interesting thing: When I was having the trouble connecting, the app was reporting that the Navionics card couldn't be found in the Axiom. This is a ridiculous error, because it was a) false, and b) the wrong error. There WAS a valid card in the Axiom and that WASN'T the error. I'm thinking this is an app problem, because if the two devices weren't talking the Axiom probably wasn't sending an erroneous error code to the app. So, for whatever reason, the app was seeing connection problems with the Axiom and taking that to mean the SD card was missing. It should be able to differentiate between a network error and an absent SD card error. Sure, if the network failed, the search for an SD card would fail. But the error is an unconnected network, not a missing SD card. The error message reported was incorrect and not helpful at all in debugging the issue. But, I ramble. As I said, this is probably Navionics' issue not RM's. Now that everything syncs, I love the Axiom even more!

-Steve

2003 Sea Ray 400DB