Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Device net to Seatalk backbone cable
10-06-19, 09:52 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-19 02:30 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Device net to Seatalk backbone cable
My E125 connected and functioned with my ST6001 Autopilot via my Seatalk connector cable.
I installed an Axiom Pro and connected the supplied Devicenet cable to my Seatalk backbone in the same position as my E125 to Seatalk cable. The new AxiomPro does not "see" the ST6001 Autopilot. No autopilot is displayed.

What is wrong?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-19, 02:47 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-19 09:37 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Device net to Seatalk backbone cable
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Greyharbor,

For the benefit of others who may be viewing this thread, for the e125 MFD to have been interfaced to the ST6001, an [url=SeaTalk1 & SeaTalkng converter Kit]E22158 SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit[/url] would have to have been installed. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. The SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 socket of the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs features a SeaTalkng socket, while the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 socket of the Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFDs features a DeviceNet (M) socket. As such, if interfacing an Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFDs to the spur socket of SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter or SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone which has been constructed from SeaTalkng networking components, then one of the SeaTalkng to DeviceNet (F) Adapters specified within the FAQ found here may be used.

The Autopilot Controls feature of MFDs running LightHouse 3 software (ex. Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFDs) is only supported in conjunction with Evolution autopilots. This limitation will not prevent use of the autopilot's Track mode feature to track to a waypoint or to follow a route. It simply requires that the autopilot's control head be used to command the autopilot into track mode after navigation (Go To or Follow Route) has been commanded via the MFD's user interface.
10-07-19, 03:57 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-19 07:57 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
So if I understand correctly, the ST6001 will never show as an autopilot icon on the Axiom Pro interface, even with the supplied device net cable plugged into the Axiom Pro NMEA 2000 plug and the other end plugged into the Seatalk bus bar?
10-08-19, 08:02 AM
Greyharbor,

Q1. So if I understand correctly, the ST6001 will never show as an autopilot icon on the Axiom Pro interface
A1. Correct.

Q2. even with the supplied device net cable plugged into the Axiom Pro NMEA 2000 plug and the other end plugged into the Seatalk bus bar?
A2. Should you be referring to use a DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng Spur Adapter to mate the MFD to a spur socket (white) within the SeaTalkng backbone (within very small networks, the SeaTalkng backbone may consist of a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter alone), then you are indeed correct.
10-08-19, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-19 01:01 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you Chuck;

Which were the last 9" MFD display series which would interface with the ST6001, still showing on-screen display of the autopilot functions (prior to the Axiom series which no longer will display presence of the ST6001?) I will keep my Axiom Pro and install a second 9" display to control the ST6001 function.
10-08-19, 01:06 PM
Greyharbor,

None of Raymarine's currently manufactured MFDs are designed to support use of the LightHouse 3 Autopilot Control feature when interfaced to an autopilot which is of any design other than an Evolution Autopilot. Are you simply seeking to replace the ST6001 autopilot control head with an autopilot control head having styling similar to that of the new MFD? If so, then please specify the model of autopilot course computer which has been interfaced to the ST6001 autopilot control head.
10-08-19, 01:57 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-19 04:21 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I am asking which of the older, but more recently produced MFD series would still work with my ST6001. I will install a second 9 inch display above my Axiom Pro.
10-08-19, 04:23 PM
Greyharbor,

Q. I am asking which of the older, but more recently produced MFD series would still work with my ST6001.
A. Such determinations are based on the model of Raymarine autopilot course computer that is installed within the system, not the model of the interfaced autopilot control head (i.e. ST6001).
10-08-19, 05:34 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-19 09:04 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you Chuck for your response.
My control box says "Smartpilot."
10-09-19, 09:26 AM
Greyharbor,

SmartPilot was the name given to the S1G/S2G/S3G autopilot course computers. These gyro equipped autopilot course computers supported an Auto Learn feature to determine the vessel's handling characteristics and would automatically configure the pilots settings.

The last generation of MFDs which had supported use of the Autopilot Controls feature in conjunction with SmartPilots were those which had been designed for use with and were running LightHouse II software. These MFDs included:
- gS-Series MFDs (gSx5; where Raymarine x indicates the screen size)
- eS-Series MFDs (eS75, eSx7, eSx8; where Raymarine x indicates the screen size)
- e-Series MFDs (e7, e7D, ex5, ex7; where Raymarine x indicates the screen size)
- c-Series MFDs (cx5, cx7; where Raymarine x indicates the screen size)
- a-Series MFDs (ax5, ax7, ax8; where Raymarine x indicates the screen size)