Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Connecting Axiom Pro 12 to Icom VHF
10-21-19, 09:42 AM
RE: [CA11] Connecting Axiom Pro 12 to Icom VHF
Ed,

Q1. Can I connect the Axiom to the Icom VHF directly, or do I have to go through the "backbone"? I assume directly but just want to be sure.
A1. I believe that you had indicated that you have Axiom Pro MFDs rather than Axiom MFDs. As Axiom Pro MFDs feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface, direct connection of the Axiom Pro MFD's NMEA 0183 leads to a VHF radio having a NMEA 0183 communications interface is possible as long as the VHF radio will accept NMEA 0183 sentences featuring the $EC NMEA 0183 talker ID. Regarding the latter, it is recommended that the VHF radio manufacturer be contacted for verification. See my initial response for instructions regarding how to interface the MFD's NMEA 0183 leads to the VHF radio. If not or the system features an external GPS sensor (ex. Raystar 150 GPS Sensor, Raystar 130 GPS sensor), then powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone including an E70196 VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit would be used to supply the VHF radio with GPS data.

Q2. I have two Axiom Pro 12's. Do I have to connect from the "Master" display or can I connect from the non-master? Reason I ask is that the Master's NMEA 0183 port has already been used.
A2. The NMEA 0183 of any networked Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFD may be used, as long as that MFD will be switched ON whenever the VHF radio will be in use.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] Connecting Axiom Pro 12 to Icom VHF - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 10-21-19 09:42 AM