Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Mercury Smartcraft to a78
08-14-19, 09:43 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-19 08:47 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Mercury Smartcraft to a78
I have a fully functional SeaTalkng backbone for a78/CPT100/CPT200 also connected to my N2k compatible Level 2 Mercmonitor (MM). Original setup advice given in 2015 on the old tech forum, which I followed to the letter, included the use of an inline terminator to connect to MM.

The one thing I was have never been able to obtain is GPS info to MM. My a78 also did not display the MM as a device on the network. Have always been suspicious of the inline terminator, and last weekend, it with a SeaTalkng "T".

Checking device list afterward, the MM now displays as a device on the network. I thought the issue was finally resolved but still no GPS data to MM.

MM info from a78 device list:

NMEA data base version: 1.3
Product code: 130
Model ID: Mercury Marine M3
Software version: 5.01
Model version: Gateway
Model serial code: 110415116 3
Can address: 0

Current MM GPS settings:

Gateway: N2k
Gateway: Transmit (correct setting Smartcraft capable engines which mine is)
GPS data: Yes
GPS Enabled: Yes
Use GPS speed: Yes

Why am I still not receiving GPS info on the network? Do I need to run the "engine id" procedure (don't care to have engine data displayed on MFD)?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-19, 09:25 AM
RE: [CA11] Mercury Smartcraft to a78
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Phil,

In order to ensure that the equipment has been properly interfaced to the engine system, please add a system diagram of the NMEA 2000 communications network onboard your vessel. The diagram should list each device, show location of termination, and show the power source for the NMEA 2000 backbone.

From the Merc Monitor information found here, there are four variants of the Merc Monitor (Levels 1-4), some of which support utilizing GPS data from a NMEA 2000 source and some of which do not. Which variant is installed onboard your vessel?

The Identify Engines feature is not supported with third party engine gateways and would only be used to establish engine instance mapping in support of displaying engine data by the MFD and use of the MFD's Fuel Manager feature. The MFD features no configuration settings (other the Data Master designation ... not applicable to systems featuring a single MFD) which would be responsible for controlling data transmitted by the MFD. Essentially, if the MFD calculates it, then it will be transmitted by the MFD to the SeaTalkng backbone. Should the Mercury system to utilize data on the backbone and it be verified via a NMEA 2000 analyzer (ex. Actisense NGT-1 & Actisense NMEA Reader PC software), then it would be recommended that assistance from Mercury Marine be sought.

Those who are simply seeking to get GPS data to a Mercury system would have typically achieved this end via NMEA 0183 rather than NMEA 2000 communications. To this end, the Mercury system would typically have a GPS socket or one labeled NMEA 0183 (input) to which the NMEA 0183 output from a Raymarine system would have been interfaced. Raymarine's E22158 VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit would have typically been installed within the marine electronics powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to support this end.
10-30-19, 08:11 AM
Chuck thank you for your help in locating my topic.

I replaced the inline terminator with a NMEA "T" and engine data, including fuel economy, does display on my a78. :-)

Last week I confirmed I am receiving GPS data as well and was able to see the same on my Level 2 Mercmonitor. Still no fuel economy figures, so that problem is on the Smartcraft side and I've reached out to an expert regarding that.

In my case, the inline terminator was the problem, as none of my Smartcraft devices displayed on the device list until after I replaced it with a Raymarine "T". For verification, I reinstalled the inline terminator and all none of my Smartcraft devices displayed on the device list. I don't know if I received a defective inline terminator or what, but everything works on the network with the "T" so I'm happy!

Phil
10-30-19, 08:38 AM (This post was last modified: 10-30-19 08:39 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Phil,

Thanks for the follow-up. I'm glad to learn that your Raymarine system is not receiving engine data from your Mercury Marine engine system. You may want to consider returning the inline terminator to your Raymarine dealer, noting your findings.