Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updating instrument software from e7
05-31-16, 09:44 AM
Updating instrument software from e7
I am ready to finish the installation of a new e7 MFD chatplotter, i70 Multifunction Instrument Display and ITC5 to an existing EV-100 wheel pilot and have updated the MFD to the latest v.17.xx. Assuming that I connect everything properly, the reference materials seem to say that the MFD will update the i70, p70, ACU100, EV1 and ITC5 from that update...is my understanding correct, or will I have to download separate updates for those instruments? Thanks in advance

Thanks,
CB
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-31-16, 10:23 AM
RE: Updating instrument software from e7
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum CB,

The v17.45 a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD software update download zip file does indeed include .iso files to update the i70, p70, ACU100, EV1 and ITC5. The Raymarine a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD software update download now contains software update files to update many of the system's devices which have been interfaced via Ethernet or SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 to the system. Should one open the zip file, one will find a number of ...ReleaseNotes.txt files which specify the adapters, fishfinders, instruments, autopilots, radar, RMK-9, etc. (and corresponding software versions) for which update files have been included. After having updated the software within the system's MFDs, the microSD card containing the software update files should be inserted into the Data Master MFD's memory card reader and then the MFD should then be commanded to Check Card For Updates (HOME->SET-UP->MAINTENANCE->CHECK CARD FOR UPDATES). After selecting the devices which you desire to update, then the MFD may be commanded to perform the update.
05-31-16, 10:42 AM (This post was last modified: 05-31-16 10:54 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
This where I get confused. I completed the update on the MFD using WiFi with the memory card in the MFD reader slot rather than downloading it on my computer and writing to the memory card in the computer's memory slot. The e7 stated that the update was installed successfully. The reference materials are not clear to me on how to proceed from this point.

Thanks,
CB
05-31-16, 11:00 AM
CB,

Similarly, should one use the option to Check Online For Updates, then update files will be downloaded for all devices which may be updated via this feature ... this includes the devices which you have previously specified. Should the software within all of your devices be up to date, then the MFD will indicate "No software updates available for your current products." Note that there is not harm in regularly performing this check.

Please click here to view the FAQ addressing how to determine the current version of software within your Raymarine products.
05-31-16, 11:23 AM (This post was last modified: 05-31-16 11:52 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you. Sorry for so many questions, but I'm trying to get ready for a cruise and am trying to minimize the number of trips to my boat needed (1hr each way). Once I complete the connections after installation and power up, will it recognized the instruments installed automatically or will I need to configure them manually?

Once configured, will I need to update the MFD again or are all updates already included in the original download and i will be able to simply follow your procedure above?

Thanks,
CB
05-31-16, 12:00 PM
CB,

Should the MFD be updated with the v17.45 software update, then there would be no need to update the MFD's software again, unless later a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD software update is released in the interim. No update should be required for the equipment to recognize one another. With respect to updating the system's other components, you may want to simply wait until you have fully assembled the system. Should the location of the vessel not support high speed Wi-Fi Internet access, then you will need to bring a microSD memory card containing the software update files to the vessel. Alternatively, should none of the equipment have yet been installed, then you may want to consider interfacing the MFD to the i70, p70, ACU100, EV1 and ITC5 on a bench to permit the software within the devices to be updated prior to bringing it to the boat.
05-31-16, 12:16 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-16 01:52 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you. Some of the equipment has been installed, so I can't do a bench update. You have answered most of my questions, but not the core one, which I may not have stated clearly enough.

the MFD was updated directly through WiFi, so my assumption is that the v17.45 update is stored in the internal memory of the MFD or on the memory card which was in the slot when the update was performed.

Will I be able to update the instruments from the MFD directly now, or must I, either, gain WiFi access and update them online or download to the micro SD card before I leave and update that way?

Thanks,
CB
05-31-16, 01:57 PM
CB,

The updates for the other products are not stored/retained by an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD when downloaded via Wi-Fi. Correspondingly, you will indeed need to either gain Wi-Fi access to the Internet at the vessel's location to update them online or will alternatively need to download the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD v17.45 software update zip file to your computer, extract/copy the software update files from the downloaded zip file and then paste the extracted/copied software update files to the root level director of a microSD memory card before leaving for the boat.
05-31-16, 02:01 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-16 08:05 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Got it, that is what I suspected, clear now....Much appreciated...

Thanks,
CB
06-01-16, 08:05 AM
You're welcome.