Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] AIS on an Element 7
11-12-19, 10:51 AM
RE: [CA11] AIS on an Element 7
Chris,

Q1. Could you categorically confirm that the Element 7S running Lighthouse 3.9.138 will correctly display AIS targets (i.e. not own boat) when fed data from a class B transceiver and that working examples exist.
A1. Yes and please note that the latest released version of LightHouse Sport software is v3.9.98, not v3.9.138 ... the latter version is the app version specified within the MFD's diagnostics feature. My Element display running LightHouse Sport v3.9.98 at my desk has been interfaced to an AIS650, AIS700, and AIS5000 via SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications and does not suffer the reported symptom.

A2. Do you have a recommended NMEA0183-2000K AIS converter that you know will work with an Element 7S e.g. Actisense NGW-1.
A2. Raymarine has not officially tested any NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridges for such purposes specifically with Element displays. We have historically recommended the Actisense NGW-1-ISO-AIS for such purposes. That said, I ran a quick test of my Actisense NGW-1-ISO-AIS with my AIS650 and Element display running LightHouse Sport v3.9.98 and was unable to duplicate the reported issue.

Q3. Could you explain what you meant by “determine whether the MFD responds similarly to ownership data” in you last post.
A3. The NMEA 0183 (and presumably NMEA 2000) transmissions of AIS transceivers included not only data concerning other vessels, but also that of one's own ship. The former are transmitted within NMEA 0183 VDM sentences and the latter are transmitted within NMEA 0183 VDO sentences. Regarding my last response, I had been seeking to determine whether the MFD brought along by the Raymarine installer produced similar symptoms when interfaced to your system.

Q4. I have spoken to the manufacturers of the Comar CSB200 (now called a T200B) and Quark-Elec. Both are puzzled as to why the Element 7S should display my own boat as a target. I know that on OpenCPN charting software on my Android tablet I can filter out my own MMSI AIS target as I gather some MFDs do to but that doesn’t help with the Element 7.
A4. Own ship data is indeed filtered out ... see my response to Q1 and Q2. Each of the systems tested transmits own ship data to system. I suspect that the issue may lie in transmissions of the Quark A032ais converter.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] AIS on an Element 7 - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 11-12-19 10:51 AM