Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Axiom 9 RV Sailboat Transducer
11-04-19, 02:31 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-19 03:52 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Axiom 9 RV Sailboat Transducer
I am installing a Axiom 9 RV on my 34' sailboat and would like to install a real vision transducer, considering a RV 200.

A couple of questions...
1. It would be placed about 12" off center just forward of the keel where the bottom is very flat (maybe 1-2 deg) , will this work?
2. What happens as the sailboat tilts over for long periods of time, as in sailing?
3. Better option would be?

Thanks
Jack
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-19, 04:12 PM
RE: [CA11] Axiom 9 RV Sailboat Transducer
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Jack,

General comment for binnacle mounted MFDs: Per the FAQ found here, fishfinder transducer cables should not be cut/spliced/altered. When seeking fishfinder capabilities on a sailing vessel, it is recommended that one of the options specified within the FAQ found here be employed below decks and that the fishfinding device then be interfaced to any binnacle mounted MFD via Ethernet communications.

Q1. It would be placed about 12" off center just forward of the keel where the bottom is very flat (maybe 1-2 deg) , will this work?
A1. Yes

Q2. What happens as the sailboat tilts over for long periods of time, as in sailing?
A2. RealVisionâ„¢ 3D Transducers feature a built-in attitude and heading reference system (AHRS) that stabilizes the sonar imagery, automatically compensating for vessel motion. That said, maximum performance with regard to sonar imaging will occur with the vessel operating on an even keel such as when under power.

Q3. Better option would be?
A3. A thru-hull CPT-S transducer is commonly recommended for sailing vessels interested in plotting the bottom, determining bottom hardness, locating structure, and monitoring depth.
11-07-19, 08:05 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-19 08:42 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you!
With the CPT-5 transducer do I still need to set up a ethernet or can it tie into my Seatalkng network. I have good access to the binnacle if it can plug straight into the Axiom also. Thanks
11-08-19, 08:47 AM
jijones,

Fishfinder transducer are not designed to be interfaced directly to a network (Ethernet, SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000, NMEA 0183, SeaTalk, etc.). Instead such transducers are designed to be interfaced to a fishfinding product (ex. fishfinder sounder module, MFD having internal fishfinder circuitry, fishfinder display, etc.) which in turn may be interfaced to a network to support sharing of such features / data. In the case of CPT-S transducers, they may be interfaced to a CP100 DownVision Sounder Module or MFD having internal DownVision or RealVision sounder circuitry (the latter requires adaptation), which may in turn be interfaced to an Ethernet network to which the MFD lacking internal fishfinder circuitry has in turn been interfaced.