Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] i70s where does compass go
11-19-19, 01:01 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-19 01:46 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] i70s where does compass go
I am replacing some 3 old ST50/60's with 3 - i70s'
I have an ITC-5 to convert the wind, depth speed to STg.

Currently there is a Gyroplus 2 SHS installed. I believe that also means that somewhere on the boat is a fluxgate compass. I think the SHS outputs ST which I believe I can connect through a converter to the STg network. The boat has no autopilot. One of the ST50's displayed heading so I believe that was its only use.

Initially I was doing some research to see if I should remove the SHS and connect the compass directly to the ITC-5 and then found that the compass is "discontinued".

Assuming I can continue to use what I have for the time being. Does it make more sense to connect the compass directly to the ITC-5 or take the ST output from the SHS and convert/connect to the STg network?

What is the replacement for the compass, would that be the EV-1/2 sensor core ?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-19-19, 01:53 PM
RE: [CA11] i70s where does compass go
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum dprice,

Q1. Assuming I can continue to use what I have for the time being. Does it make more sense to connect the compass directly to the ITC-5 or take the ST output from the SHS and convert/connect to the STg network?
A1. Indeed SeaTalk heading from the SHS should be bridged from SeaTalk to SeaTalkng via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit. As the SHS features gyro stabilization, heading data performance may be better via the SHS.

Q2. What is the replacement for the compass, would that be the EV-1/2 sensor core ?
A2. For systems which may include a future Evolution autopilot, then an EV-1 CCU would be recommended. For those not planning to include a future Evolution autopilot, then an AR200 Augmented Reality Sensor would be recommended. Like the EV-1/EV-2 CCUs, the AR200 will auto-calibrate.
11-19-19, 10:47 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-19 08:45 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you.
11-20-19, 08:46 AM
You're welcome.