Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] connecting st60 wind to chart plotter a70D via seatalk NG or NMEA
11-22-19, 02:38 PM (This post was last modified: 11-22-19 03:37 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] connecting st60 wind to chart plotter a70D via seatalk NG or NMEA
Hi ,

I have an st60 wind that is currently connected to a i70 tridata. The previous owners spliced a Seatalk ng cable into an old Seatalk 1 (black/red and yellow) cable then into the i70. They did the same from the i70 back to the chart plotter (a70D) . This gave power but no data connection. I have now run a new Seatalk ng cable from i70 back to the a70D. I have depth and speed but no wind data on the chart plotter.

Is there a way to get the wind data back without installing a converter kit (E22158)? I have a spare wire and could run the st60 wind straight back to my NMEA junction box and connect it as an input into the 2nd port of the chart plotter NMEA? would this work? Its just £100 to get wind data on the chart plotter seams pricey?

thanks

Adam
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-22-19, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 11-22-19 03:58 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] connecting st60 wind to chart plotter a70D via seatalk NG or NMEA
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Adam,

While an i70/i70S MFID could have alone been interfaced to a powered ST60 instrument via a SeaTalk to SeaTalk Adapter Cable (A06047 / 15.7in (0.4m), A06073 / 39.4in (1.0m)) to support repeating the data produced by the instrument, when additionally interfacing an A-Series Classic MFD to these devices, this method of interfacing a ST60 instrument to to the system cannot be utilized.

ST60 Wind Instruments do not feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface.

The equipment which you have listed is not designed to be interfaced in the manner which you have specified. The i70/i70S MFID features a communications interface which has been designed to support either SeaTalkng communications or SeaTalk communications, but cannot simultaneously support both. The A70D features a SeaTalkng communications interface. The A70D and i70/i70S MFID are each intended to each be interfaced as an individual spur to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. As you have suggested a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will need to be added as a component of the backbone to permit interfacing the ST60 instrument to the system.
11-25-19, 04:52 AM
Thank you chuck that is very helpful . Have been banging my head against a wall for this for a while.

It seems then it would be best for me to purchase a newer wind display - the i60 wind display with the Seatalkng connections (rather than spend the money on the converter).

What I am not clear about is.. can the i60 then be daisy chained onto the i70 then back to the chart plotter all with Seatalk NG cables? Or would I need a separate 5m spur with a new connection into the backbone for the i60?.. hopefully not!
11-25-19, 11:13 AM
Adam,

Q. What I am not clear about is.. can the i60 then be daisy chained onto the i70 then back to the chart plotter all with Seatalk NG cables? Or would I need a separate 5m spur with a new connection into the backbone for the i60?.. hopefully not!
A. Unlike the i70S MFID which features a single SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 communications interface to enforce the NMEA 2000 requirement interface all NMEA 2000 devices as individual spurs to the backbone, the i70 MFIDs (as do the i50 and i60 instruments) feature a pair of SeaTalk/NMEA 2000 sockets and will support being installed in the middle of a daisy chain spur of up to three devices. Within such daisy chain spurs the total length of spur cable used within the spur was not to exceed 6m. Within new systems and when seeking to follow best installation practices, it is recommended that daisy chain spurs not be created and that each device be installed as an individual spur as dictated by the latest NMEA 2000 installation standards.
11-25-19, 11:18 AM
Thank you!
11-25-19, 02:36 PM
You're welcome.