Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Fluxgate compass / course computer troubleshooting
06-11-20, 10:29 AM
RE: [TG11] Fluxgate compass / course computer troubleshooting
Thanks Tom. Here is a bit more on the heading problem.

1) Last season - original fluxgate - problem seemed more along the lines of "a" in your reply. Typically about 180 deg or so off, both the position of the boat on the MFD and the actual heading read-out. I would reset manually or via COG and all would function fine for a period of time. I'd say I reset about 3 or 4 times over the course of 6 months.

2) Early this season - original fluxgate - same issue as #1 but occurred every time I would power on the electronics. Even after resetting manually t would show an incorrect heading/boat position pretty much as soon as I changed the direction of the boat. Hard to say if this was somewhat like "b" because there did not seem to be any consistent lag. That being said, I would say that when trying to re-swing I would almost always would get a "turn to fast" at the same exact heading on each turn attempt. Seeing I was using the wheel lock and changed nothing else I eventually realized this was not likely being caused by by actual turn rate but by something else. (Also did this at two different locations to make sure there was not a current or something else changing my speed/turn rate.) Next step was to replace the fluxgate.

3) Now - replacement fluxgate - heading/boat position shows incorrect when powered on. In my slip this seems to come up typically around 290 deg M. I reset manually in the slip to 350 deg M which is my actual magnetic compass heading. The correct heading/boat position holds accurately until the electronics are powered down and then as soon as I power cycle I'm back to 290 deg M or so.

I've not had a chance to try unplugging the 3-pin gyro connector as you mention below. Based on your thoughts it seems more likely though that for some reason my offset is not being stored in the EEPROM, but all other functions of the pilot seem to operate without any issue so not sure if that would be the case of not.

Hopefully this helps give you a better feel for your diagnosis?

Thanks,

Tony
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [TG11] Fluxgate compass / course computer troubleshooting - tmass60 - 06-11-20 10:29 AM