The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Weighing Options - Autopilot for a 185 Runabout
07-26-18, 03:00 PM (This post was last modified: 07-27-18 03:07 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Weighing Options - Autopilot for a 185 Runabout
Hi All,

I have a 185 open bow runabout with a 3.0 Mercruiser/Alpha I Gen II outdrive with cable steering. I troll approx. 125 hours a year on the great lakes and want to add an autopilot. My boat has basically been converted from a ski boat to a fishing machine and having the convenience of autopilot would be worth it's weight in gold to me. The Evolution has really caught my eye and now I'm weighing my options. Here is what I found my 2 options to be(prices are best online prices I could find, and I will be installing myself)

Components for adding autopilot with my current cable steering system:
Raymarine ACU-200 Actuator Control Unit - $650
Raymarine P70RS Autopilot Controller - $490
Raymarine EV-1 Sensor Core - $500
Raymarine SeaTalk Cable Kit -$135
Octopus OCTAFMDRESYSA Sterndrive System - $1037
Octopus Rudder Feedback - $205
Approx cost: $3017

Components for adding autopilot and converting over to hydraulic steering:
Raymarine Evolution EV-150 Autopilot System Kit - $2000
Kit Includes
E70329 p70Rs Control Head
E70096 EV-1 Sensor Core
R70160 Evolution Cable Kit
E70430 ACU-150 Actuator Control Unit
M81120 Type 1 12v Hydraulic Pump
SeaStar Solutions Steering Cylinder
HC5328-3 - $470
SeaStar Solutions Helm SeaStar HH5272 - 520
SeaStar hydraulic tubing and fluid - $150
Approx cost: $3140

So I know hydraulic steering is ultimately better, but the install will be a pain. In addition, I won't be keeping the boat forever. The octopus drive would be simple to remove, and I will be able to put it on my new boat or at least sell it used.

I found one person on another forum that converted over to hydraulic steering and used the EV-100 system which is several hundred dollars cheaper. The problem I'm seeing though is the hydraulic cylinder that SeaStar recommends for my boat has a capacity of 139cc and the Type .5 drive pump that comes with that EV100 system is only rated to 110cc. I'm not sure if he used a different cylinder or if he is using an undersized drive pump. Can you use an undersized drive pump and if so, what are the issues? If I could use the EV-100 instead of the EV-200, the hydraulic steering conversion would be my choice.

I'm leaning towards the octopus option with my current cable drive, but would like to know if anyone has had success with this option, using the Evolution autopilot, and trolling at speed around 2 knots.

I'm open to any feedback or other options you might have in mind. I appreciate your help and look forward to the conversation.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[CA11] Weighing Options - Autopilot for a 185 Runabout - rengnath - 07-26-18 03:00 PM