Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Autopilot enhancement
11-09-18, 07:29 AM
RE: [CA11] Autopilot enhancement
PAPOU2018,

Q1. Even if I know that « Raymarine recommands the Rotary Rudder Reference Transducer » with Evolution autopilots to… « maximise » ? the performances of the auto-pilot, I would appreciate to learn a little bit more about these "improvements" comparing with an installation (rather more easy) without any bar angle indicator… and comparing with my old ST4000...
A1. Unfortunately, it would not be possible to provide a response including quantitative performance data as to how an Evolution autopilot would perform both with and without a rudder reference transducer as such performance data would vary with each boat design. Some Evolution EV200 and EV400 autopilot packs are supplied with the M81105 Rotary Rudder Reference Transducer to maximize the performance of the autopilot. That said, the Evolution ACUs may be used with any Raymarine and third party rudder reference transducer (ex. Teleflex SmartStick, rudder feedback option for Octopus drives, etc.) which had been successfully used within a prior Raymarine autopilot design.

Prior Raymarine autopilot designs only sensed rotational motion around the yaw axis. Evolution autopilots feature a 9-axis sensor that monitors vessel motion in all three axes. In the absence of a rudder reference transducer, the autopilot will apply power to the rudder to make course corrections, estimate the amount rudder which has been applied, and then wait for sensor input regarding the changes to the vessel's course were sufficient and adjust further as required. When a rudder reference transducer is fitted the autopilot and the autopilot has learned the handling characteristics of the vessel, the autopilot will be more precise in application of rudder, making for tighter course keeping. Such performance improvements will have the greatest impact in slower moving displacement hulls (ex. sailboats, power boats operating at speeds below plane, etc.) and those operating in heavy seas.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] Autopilot enhancement - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 11-09-18 07:29 AM