Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Autohelm T300 computer & Raymarine Smart Heading Sensor via NMEA
12-17-18, 12:13 AM (This post was last modified: 12-26-18 11:26 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [TG11] Autohelm T300 computer & Raymarine Smart Heading Sensor via NMEA
Hello Sergio,

The T300 will steer to NMEA0183 heading data, but not terribly well. 10Hz NMEA heading is ok for radar overlay, chart navigation etc. but isn't really fast enough for decent autopilot performance, even on a product of the vintage of the T300.

The Smart Heading Sensor doesn't output ROT data, only HDM.

Unless there's a good reason that's not immediately obvious to me, I'd stick with the fluxgate on the T300. It only becomes worth using an SHS with T150/T400/S1/S2/S3-generation pilots because they can take in and use raw rate-gyro signal in addition to their own fluxgate, giving much better steering performance than fluxgate alone. (For anyone else reading this, connect raw rate gyro only from the SHS, don't output digital NMEA/Seatalk heading from the SHS to T150/400/S1/S2/S3; the fluxgate stays connected to the pilot, not the SHS.)

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [TG11] Autohelm T300 computer & Raymarine Smart Heading Sensor via NMEA - Tom - Raymarine - Moderator - 12-17-18 12:13 AM