The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] Linear type 2 short or can I use a long with a 10 inch tiller arm
02-05-19, 08:36 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-19 07:09 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] Linear type 2 short or can I use a long with a 10 inch tiller arm
Hi ,
I’m upgrading my wheel pilot to the linear system on my 25,000lb sail boat 42 ft long . I’m going to install a Edson tiller arm , The issue I’m having is the length of the tiller arm . From the center of the rudder shaft there is a bulkhead 12inches away , meaning the longest tiller arm I can use is a 10 inch . The second problem I have is a divider between my lazaret and my quadrant . The ideal system because of the length of the ram would be the linear type 2 long . But when I was going through the manual , it states that the tiller arm has to have 14 inches radius . I can’t get that because I run into a bulkhead .

The reason I want to use the long liner is so I can pass through the lazarette locker with a 2 inch [censored] rather than cutting the entire lazarette locker for the size of the linear motor body .
I guess my question is , will a type 2 long work with a 10 inch tiller arm , since my boat is only 25,000 lb anyway ?

Second question :
Is the type 2 short the exact same unit only shorter and only reason it’s rated for 44,000 lbs vs 33,000lb is that it has 4 inch longer tiller arm needed , More leverage over the rudder shaft ?

Last question :
Do I have to worry about the length of the ram being too long since it will only be pushing a 10 inch arm ? And it’s going to be pushing up against the quadrant stops before it gets near its own ram stop ?
Thanks for any advice
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[DG11] Linear type 2 short or can I use a long with a 10 inch tiller arm - simon Pachunter - 02-05-19 08:36 PM