Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Failing 125 GPS and E80 MFD
05-01-19, 03:15 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-19 03:16 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Failing 125 GPS and E80 MFD
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Camwhit_boc40,

General comment: For the benefit of others who may be viewing this thread, the FAQ addressing how to interface a Raystar 150 GPS Sensor to an E-Series Classic MFD may be found here.

Q1. My boat doesn’t have the D244 distribution block. It worked with this arrangement up to this failure (10+ years), so I’m guessing that the distribution block isn’t required for my system. Is this a problem?
A1. There are many ways to interface devices featuring a SeaTalk communications interfaced to one another. Use of a D224, SeaTalk Auxiliary Junction box, splices, terminals strips, etc. all may be used to to accommodate this end. In the case of your system it appears that a SeaTalk Auxiliary Junction Box has been used to interface the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor (white cable) to the SeaTalk bus. This cable and the sensor may be removed from the system. The E80 MFD's SeaTalk/Alarm Cable should also be unplugged from the MFD's SeaTalk/Alarm socket.

Q2. There is no power lead currently coming into the R55006 junction box. Do I still need a power lead to the new Seatalk to SeaTalkNG converter? If so, where do I pull the power from? Should it come off the same panel circuit as the rest navigation system?
A2. After uplugging the E80's SeaTalk/Alarm Cable (see the response to Q1) and powering on all marine electronics circuits onboard, voltage should be measured between the SeaTalk power (red) and SeaTalk ground (bare wire) leads/terminals inside of the SeaTalk Auxiliary Junction Box ... the measurement should net 0V. If not, then the source of voltage for the SeaTalk bus will need to be determined and disconnected. The SeaTalk to SeaTalk Converter shown within the second diagram within the FAQ referenced above should be powered via a SeaTalkng Power Cable which has been connected to a switched 12VDC power circuit. I typically recommend that power be taken from the breaker which is supplying power the system's instruments. If supplied with a complete list of the marine electronics installed onboard the boat and which breakers are supplying power to each of these devices, then a further recommendation may be provided.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] Failing 125 GPS and E80 MFD - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 05-01-19 03:15 PM