Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] SPX-5 Virtual Rudder Indicator Shows Rudder Hard Over
01-15-20, 08:59 PM
RE: [TG11] SPX-5 Virtual Rudder Indicator Shows Rudder Hard Over
Hello Dave,

I'd recommend re-checking all of these assumptions, memories and prior checks when you have the change, but if indeed it is the SPX then it won't be (practicably, economically, reliably) repairable. The service tech would be looking for a very subtle problem where many hours could be spent and the root cause still not be found, and it's a multi-layer, conformally-coated, surface-mount PCB that's not necessarily easily serviced even where the fault is known. Like I say, from the description I still think there's something we're missing and that it's not the SPX.

I did get the photos, thanks, but with pilots it's the dynamic behaviour over time that gives clues to causes and so still photos don't tend to help in the way that videos can (best of all is a recording of NMEA2000 traffic whilst the pilot is in use, since this contains heading/COG/SOG/STW/wind/rudder/BTW/DTW/XTE and so on all in parallel and 'live'.)

When you get a chance to visit the boat, I'd suggest getting in contact with us again (you can call the local Raymarine support office or post back here) and we can run through the checks with you.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [TG11] SPX-5 Virtual Rudder Indicator Shows Rudder Hard Over - Tom - Raymarine - Moderator - 01-15-20 08:59 PM