Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Analogue Wind Display instability with rotation sensor
11-07-19, 06:46 PM
RE: [TG11] Analogue Wind Display instability with rotation sensor
Hello Nick,

Is it apparent wind that you're looking at, or true?
When the problem occurs, what happens with the wind angle afterwards? Still indicates a shifting wind angle but inverted, or static wind angle, or something else?

The mast rotation calculations will only use heading data from the fluxgate connected to the Hull Transmitter, not the EV, so I don't expect that the system is toggling between these two heading sources. What I think is more likely is either that:
  • you are looking at True wind and your speed-through-water paddlewheel is sticking occasionally, which will of course corrupt the results of the TWA calculation
  • you have a broken winding in your fluxgate compass which is occasionally giving incorrect heading data into the mast rotation calculations.

Next time the problem occurs, I would suggest:
  • unplugging the link between STNG and the Wireless system, just as a precaution (this is also needed for the next step)
  • checking what heading data is displayed on the Wireless system - is this broadly accurate, is it static, does it change smoothly and evenly as the vessel turns?
  • checking your STW data: is this accurate and changing, not static or zero?

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [TG11] Analogue Wind Display instability with rotation sensor - Tom - Raymarine - Moderator - 11-07-19 06:46 PM