Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting SeaTalk1 and NMEA2000 using the SeaTalk Converter
06-09-20, 10:33 AM
RE: Connecting SeaTalk1 and NMEA2000 using the SeaTalk Converter
Building on this thread of connecting original SeaTalk (SeaTalk1) devices to NMEA 2000:

My boat has a collection of devices with SeaTalk interfaces, all joined in a SeaTalk junction box. This includes an RL80C plotter, 150G auto pilot course computer, an RN300 GPS and RS125 GPS antenna (already spliced together before going to the junction box), and an ST60 TriData. The depth and speed sensors connect to the ST60 directly. This all works well.

Over the winter, I added an Axiom 12 to the helm, with a NMEA 2000 network that connects to an AIS transponder. There's presently no connection between those devices and the older SeaTalk devices. Unfortunately, this means I don't get boat depth showing on my plotter. I'd like to fix that.

The ST60 has a open SeaTalk port on it.

Q1) Can I use a SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkng cable to connect to the yellow port on the SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkng converter in the E22158 (SeaTalk1 to Seatalkng Converter Kit)?

If so, I'm curious how I connect the converter to my NMEA2000 network.

Q2) Do I use the blue ports to connect to the N2K backbone or do they connect as a drop on a NMEA2000 "T"?

Q3) Finally, will I need to power the ST1 to STng converter even though it's connecting to a powered N2K network?

I'm trying to attach or insert a drawing of what I'm envisioning, but I don't think the forum is doing that...

Thanks,
Steve

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

-Steve

2003 Sea Ray 400DB
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Connecting SeaTalk1 and NMEA2000 using the SeaTalk Converter - scooper321 - 06-09-20 10:33 AM