Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to enable NMEA output from C120W?
11-09-16, 04:56 PM
RE: How to enable NMEA output from C120W?
Andy,

Q1: It would seem that in my system the AIS Layer Setup menu item does not exist
A1: Please note that the command sequences specified within the previously referenced FAQs are those required for Raymarine's currently manufactured a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs running the latest software available at the time of this response. For the corresponding command sequences for C-Series Widescreen MFDs, please consult the C-Series Widescreen Multifunction Displays Reference Manual.

Q2: The AIS Layer Setup menu item cited in your second FAQ seems not to exist in my system.
A2: See the response to Q1 above. The command sequence to enable the AIS chart layer for a C-Series Widescreen MFD should be PRESENTATION->CHART LAYERS->CHART LAYERS->AIS OBJECTS->ON.

Q3: AIS 38400 is an option on Port 2, but not elsewhere.
A3: Raymarine AIS receivers/transceivers may be interfaced to C-Series Widescreen MFDs via either SeaTalkng or NMEA 0183 communications protocol. Third party AIS transceivers may only be interfaced to a C-Series Widescreen MFD via NMEA 0183 communications protocol. As you have suggested, only Port 2 of a C-Series Widescreen MFD may be configured to AIS 38000. Accordingly, only the MFD's Port 2 may be interfaced to a NMEA 0183 source of AIS data. The first step in determining why the MFD is not displaying AIS objects is to first determine whether the MFD is interfaced to an AIS receiver / transceiver, and if so, whether the AIS receiver has been interfaced to the MFD via SeaTalkng or NMEA 0183 communications protocol. In the case of the latter, the MFD's Port 2 must be configured to AIS 38400.

Q4. I am getting $APHDG and $APRSA sentences from the RS-232 connection to the Laptop (via a Gigaware USB-A to Serial adapter between the DB-9 RS232 connector and the laptop), but these are not listed in the setup sentences and the setup sentences do not appear.
A4. Based upon the sentences which you have specified to be receiving, it appears that you have interfaced the serial to USB adapter to the NMEA 0183 output port of the autopilot course computer. Autopilots are not designed to function as system NMEA 0183 to SeaTalk or SeaTalkng data bridging devices. Accordingly the sentences which your PC is receiving are limited to heading and rudder angle data. You may want to consider interfacing the serial to USB adapter to the MFD's Port 1 input/output leads. That port should be configured to NMEA 4800.

Q5. The second FAQ differs slightly from my MENU sequences, but my AIS Objects are set to ON:
Chart Application->PRESENTATION->CHART LAYERS->CHART LAYERS->AIS Objects, which are ON.
Q5. As indicated above, the command sequences specified within the previously referenced FAQs are those required for Raymarine's currently manufactured a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs running the latest software available at the time of this response. For the corresponding command sequences for C-Series Widescreen MFDs, please consult the C-Series Widescreen Multifunction Displays Reference Manual. As indicated within the previously referenced FAQ, the MFD must also have acquired or be receiving a GPS FIX data to plot AIS target data.

Q6. So it looks like it is time to call in a paid technician to sort it out. I was hoping that there was something simple that I was missing in the morass of information, but apparently there is not.
A6. Should you have satisfied the above and be satisfied that your MFD NMEA 0183 ports are operational via the wraparound testing method previously specified, then you may want to seek some assistance from a Certified Raymarine Installer. It is strongly recommended that when interfacing a computer to a Raymarine system that the installer that you will be enlisting the services of be notified in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to enable NMEA output from C120W? - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 11-09-16 04:56 PM