Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] ST60 wind, tested voltage
03-21-20, 09:00 AM (This post was last modified: 03-23-20 09:13 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] ST60 wind, tested voltage
What should yellow measure at back of ST60 with only Red power attached? I am reading 8V on yellow and assume that indicates that my ST60 wind instrument is bad and would like confirmation. With only Red attached and measuring at base of mast I get these readings:

R: 8V
G: 2-6V
B: 2-6V
Y: 0V

Yellow at base of mast always reads 0V when only Red from ST60 wind instrument is attached.

I am assuming that my ST60 wind instrument is bad with Yellow reading 8V and that it fried my masthead wind transducer and would like confirmation before replacing both.

Thank you
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-23-20, 09:20 AM (This post was last modified: 03-23-20 09:21 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum gk1978c34,

Per the FAQ addressing how to test a masthead wind transducer, yellow to shield should read between 0V and 5V DC (the exact voltage depends on the instrument: 3.2V is typical for ITC5, more like 5V on ST60.). This is the wind speed signal. The voltage will toggle between 0V and the maximum (3-5V), twice per rotation of the anemometer cups. At low wind-speeds you'll see each individual pulse, but at higher wind-speeds your multimeter will average the voltage, in which case the the faster the wind is blowing, the higher the voltage will read. Accordingly, should the cups be rotating in a decent breeze, then a non-zero (averaged) voltage should be seen on the multimeter. If not, then the masthead wind transducer should be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
03-29-20, 10:23 AM (This post was last modified: 03-30-20 08:00 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,
Thank you for quick response, but I suspect my ST60 instrument is bad and need to know what yellow reads when nothing but Red is attached. I have pulled off all wire connections except Red and am reading 8V on Yellow, which I don’t think is correct, but want confirmation.

Thank you!
03-30-20, 08:27 AM
gk1978c34,

As you have suggested, no voltage should be measured on the ST60 Wind Instrument's yellow transducer terminal when the transducer leads have been disconnected from the instrument. The symptom reported would be indicative of a failure of the instrument. Unfortunately, Raymarine can no longer service ST60/ST60+ instruments, necessitating its replacement. If seeking a drop-in replacement, then an i60 Wind Instrument may be used. The i50/i60 instruments may be adapted to be interfaced to an existing SeaTalk bus by unplugging the SeaTalk Cable(s) which is connected to the instrument and connecting it/them to a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. An A06047 / 15.7in (0.4m) SeaTalkng to SeaTalk Cable may then be used to connect the i50/i60 instrument to the aforementioned D244 SeaTalk Junction Block.
03-30-20, 05:11 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-20 07:25 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you Chuck. Will go with i60 as you suggest.
03-31-20, 07:28 AM
You're welcome.