Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] SPX computer conecting to Garmin 4212
01-23-18, 10:05 AM
RE: [CA] SPX computer conecting to Garmin 4212
tgsail1,

Q1. if I hook the GPS to the SPX via N0183 AND also connect the GPS to the STNG network, can I connect the SPX to the STNG network directly?
A1. Negative. Doing so will typically result in a data loop.

Q2. I ask because I also have the i70s and p70 on STNG, and the p70 only provides full functionality on the SPX using STNG , and the GPS will only read the i70s data on STNG(NMEA2000).
A2. As Raymarine's autopilot course computers are not designed to be a substitute for a NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 data bridging device and SPX autopilot course computers are not NMEA 2000 certified devices, it is recommended that:
a) you ensure that the SPX autopilot course computer has been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software update
b) that the third party GPS / Chartplotting product be interfaced as spur to the SeaTalkng backbone and then tested to ensure proper communications and to ensure that the autopilot may be commanded into Track mode via the autopilot's control head after having commanded navigation (Go To Waypoint / Cursor Position or Follow Route) from the GPS / Chartplotter.
c) that should the configuration specified in item b) fail to permit the autopilot to be commanded into track mode, that:
- the third party GPS / Chartplotting product be disconnected from the SeaTalkng backbone, and
- a NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 data bridging device such as that which was suggested within my last response be installed between the SeaTalkng / NMEA backbone and the third party GPS / Chartplotting product's NMEA 0183 interface.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA] SPX computer conecting to Garmin 4212 - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 01-23-18 10:05 AM